Problems with the quotient property of logarithms

In summary, to approximate the value of log5 12, you can use log5 2 =0.4307 and log5 3=0.6826. However, the correct method is to use the product property by solving log512 = log5(2 * 2 * 3). The example in the textbook may be confusing, but the correct calculation is 0.4307 + 0.4307 + 0.6826=1.544.
alancj
My test here asks me to: "Use log5 2 =0.4307 and log5 3=0.6826 to approximate the value of log5 12."

According to my textbook I would solve this by subtracting (using the quotient property): 0.6826-0.4307. That = 0.2519.

But that number isn't right!

log5 12=1.544 (about) Which I found by trial and error. I have to show my work on the test so I need to know how to do it the "right" way.

How would I solve this the way it was intended to be?

Thanks,
Alan

Physics news on Phys.org
You want the product property not the quotient property. log512 = log5(2 * 2 * 3).

0rthodontist said:
You want the product property not the quotient property. log512 = log5(2 * 2 * 3).

Yeah, but the only example that looks like my problem is the one where they are talking about the quotient property. That example has the exact same wording as the one I'm working on but just different numbers. I don't see how it would be anything else. Besides, adding 0.4307 + 0.6826 doesn't equal 1.544.

Unless I'm missing something here….

Edit:

HA! I get it now! 0.4307 + 0.4307 + 0.6826=1.544

I still hate my book.

Last edited:

Related to Problems with the quotient property of logarithms

What is the quotient property of logarithms?

The quotient property of logarithms states that when two logarithms with the same base are divided, the result is equal to the logarithm of the quotient of the two original numbers.

What are some common problems with the quotient property of logarithms?

Some common problems with the quotient property of logarithms include confusing the base of the logarithms, forgetting to take the logarithm of the quotient, and incorrectly applying the property to non-logarithmic expressions.

How can I avoid mistakes when using the quotient property of logarithms?

To avoid mistakes, it is important to carefully identify the base of the logarithms and apply the property correctly. It can also be helpful to double check your work and use a calculator for complex calculations.

Are there any exceptions to the quotient property of logarithms?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the quotient property of logarithms. For example, when dividing two logarithms with different bases, the property cannot be used and the quotient must be calculated using other rules.

How is the quotient property of logarithms used in real life?

The quotient property of logarithms is commonly used in fields such as finance, engineering, and science to solve exponential and logarithmic equations. It is also used in data analysis and modeling to transform data into a more linear form.