Probobalistic interpretation of a PDE

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific PDE with defined boundary conditions and its solution's relation to a randomly accelerated particle. The solution is the expected value of the first time the particle reaches a certain position. The conversation then explores the possibility of a similar problem with an x-dependent forcing and the potential application of the Feynman-Kac theorem. The speaker believes they have found a relevant concept in a stochastic calculus book.
kai_sikorski
Gold Member
Consider the following PDE. A lot of this is from "Numerical Analysis of an Elliptic-Parabolic Partial Differential Equation" by J. Franklin and E. Rodemich.

[itex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial y^2} + y \frac{\partial T}{\partial x} = -1[/itex]

With [itex]|x|<1, |y| < \infty[/itex] and we require T(1,y)=0 for y>0 and T(-1,y)=0 for y<0, and T(x,y) → 0 as |y| → ∞.

The solution T(x,y) is related to a randomly accelerated particle whose position ζ(t) satisfies the SDE ζ''(t) = w(t), where w(t) is white Gaussian noise. If the initial position and velocity are ζ(0) = x and ζ'(0)=y, where |x|<1, then T(x,y) is the expected value of the first time at which the sosition ζ(t) equals ±1.

I'm wondering if there is a similar probabilistic interpretation of a similar problem but with an x dependent forcing.

[itex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial y^2} + y \frac{\partial T}{\partial x} = -G(x)[/itex]

Intuitively it seems that maybe I can integrate the right hand side along the path of the random particle, but I'm not sure if this is right. This seems similar in flavor to the Feynman-Kac theorem, but I haven't been able to find a formulation of that theorem that quite works for what I want.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think I found what I need in Grigorius stochastic calculus book, it looks like my intuition was right.

FAQ: Probobalistic interpretation of a PDE

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the probabilistic interpretation of a PDE?

The probabilistic interpretation of a PDE is a way of understanding and solving the equation by using probability theory. It involves treating the solution of the PDE as a probability distribution over all possible outcomes.

3. How is the probabilistic interpretation different from other interpretations of a PDE?

The probabilistic interpretation differs from other interpretations, such as the classical or numerical interpretations, in that it incorporates randomness and uncertainty into the solution of the PDE. This can provide a more realistic and flexible approach to solving complex physical problems.

4. What are some applications of the probabilistic interpretation of a PDE?

The probabilistic interpretation of a PDE has various applications in fields such as physics, finance, and engineering. It can be used to model and analyze systems with random parameters, such as financial markets, and to simulate complex phenomena, such as diffusion processes.

5. Can the probabilistic interpretation be used for all types of PDEs?

No, the probabilistic interpretation is most commonly used for linear PDEs, which have a linear relationship between the dependent and independent variables. Nonlinear PDEs, which involve nonlinear relationships, may not have a well-defined probabilistic interpretation.