Produce a set with the following properties....

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of producing an infinite collection of sets with specific properties. One participant suggests defining each set as the set of natural numbers with certain properties, such as the ith digit being i, and excluding numbers already in the previous sets. Another participant suggests using prime numbers instead of digits. The idea of defining sets recursively is also brought up.
jack476

Homework Statement

Produce an infinite collection of sets A1, A2, A3... with the property that every Ai has an infinite number of elements, Ai∩Aj = ∅ for all i ≠ j, and the union of all Ai is equal to N.

Homework Equations

None provided.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've come up with is that each Ai is the set of all natural numbers x with the properties that:
1.) The ith digit of x is i and
2.) x is not contained in Ai-1

It feels like it's right, but I don't know how to check, and the second criterion feels a bit cheap. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
jack476 said:

Homework Statement

Produce an infinite collection of sets A1, A2, A3... with the property that every Ai has an infinite number of elements, Ai∩Aj = ∅ for all i ≠ j, and the union of all Ai is equal to N.

Homework Equations

None provided.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've come up with is that each Ai is the set of all natural numbers x with the properties that:
1.) The ith digit of x is i and
2.) x is not contained in Ai-1

It feels like it's right, but I don't know how to check, and the second criterion feels a bit cheap. Help?
What numbers are in A13 for instance?

SammyS said:
What numbers are in A13 for instance?

Yeah, that wouldn't make much sense, would it. Whoops :/

You actually have sort of the right idea, and step 2 isn't cheap. You are allowed to define sets recursively. You could, for example, think about prime numbers instead of digits. There are an infinite number of those, unlike digits. You were doing fine until you ran out of digits. And you could even stick with the digits if you redefine what you mean by the i'th digit.

Last edited:
Likes micromass
Looking at individual digits seems to me much too complicated. Just a condition of the values of x in [itex]A_i[/itex] should be enough. And saying "not in [itex]A_{i-1}[/itex] does not seem to me a good idea. Your definition of [itex]A_i[/itex] should make that automatic.

HallsofIvy said:
Looking at individual digits seems to me much too complicated. Just a condition of the values of x in [itex]A_i[/itex] should be enough. And saying "not in [itex]A_{i-1}[/itex] does not seem to me a good idea. Your definition of [itex]A_i[/itex] should make that automatic.

Why? There is more than one way to skin a cat. I can think of several uncomplicated ways to do this using digits. And I don't see anything wrong with defining a set ##A_i## that depends on the definitions of the previous sets. I'll give jack476 an example. Define ##A_1## to be the set of all integers whose lowest order digit is NOT 1. That's an infinite set and it gives it gives you an infinite number of elements that are not in the set. That's makes it a good starting point. Now just keep winnowing it down making sure each set is infinite and you always have enough leftovers to build the next infinite set. And that they finally include all of the natural numbers. Here's another. Define ##A_1## to be all numbers that have no 1's in their decimal representation. Continue.

Last edited:
Likes micromass

FAQ: Produce a set with the following properties....

1. What does it mean to "produce a set with the following properties"?

Producing a set with the following properties means creating a group or collection of elements that satisfy specific conditions or characteristics. These conditions can include a certain number of elements, specific values, or certain relationships between the elements.

2. How do I produce a set with the given properties?

The method for producing a set with specific properties will depend on the properties themselves. Some possible methods include using mathematical equations, applying logical operations, or using programming languages to generate the set.

3. Can a set have more or less than the specified number of elements?

In most cases, a set with specific properties will have exactly the number of elements specified. However, depending on the properties, it is possible for a set to have more or less elements. For example, if the properties require that the elements must be even numbers, the set may have less elements if there are not enough even numbers within the given range.

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions when producing a set with certain properties?

The limitations or restrictions will depend on the specific properties given. Some properties may have certain requirements or constraints that must be followed in order to produce a valid set. For example, if the properties specify that the elements must be prime numbers, then the set cannot contain any non-prime numbers.

5. How do I know if a set with the given properties is unique?

The uniqueness of a set with specific properties can be determined by checking if there are any other sets that satisfy the same properties. If there are no other sets with the same properties, then the set can be considered unique. However, if there are multiple sets with the same properties, then the uniqueness may depend on additional factors such as the order of the elements or the context in which the set is being used.

Back