Product of singular matrices = the zero matrix

In summary, the given problem involves creating matrices A and B with specific operations, and it is stated that the product AB should result in the zero matrix. This can be proven through the fact that Ax=0 and B=0, both of which are consequences of the operations performed on A and B. Additionally, the determinant of both A and B is zero, which supports the idea that AB=0. Furthermore, it is important to understand that just because a matrix is singular (has a determinant of zero), it does not mean that all products involving that matrix will result in the zero matrix.
clope023

Homework Statement

A = floor(10*rand(6)) (6x6 matrix with random numbers)

B = A'(transpose)

A(:,6) = -sum(B(1:5,:))' (sum row 1st through 5th row entries and place in the 6th column and then transpose and take the negative)

x = ones(6,1) (vector with 6 entries all equal to 1)

Ax = 0, x=/=0 implies A is a singular matrix since it is in contradiction to the fact that a nonsingular matrix implies x=0 is a unique solution of the equation Ax=0

[1:6] (vector with 6 entries from 1 to 6 respectively)

B = x*[1:6] (matrix column of 1's, column of 2's, ..., column of 6's)

The product AB should be the zero matrix. Why?

Homework Equations

det(A) = 0 => singular matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

set O = zero matrix

therefore AB = O take determinant of both sides det(AB) = det(O) => det(A)det(B) = det(O)

0det(B) = 0, therefore 0 = 0, I also calculated the determinant of matrix B with MATLAB and it seems it was singular as well so more easily I can calculate (0)(0) = det(O) => 0 = 0

I also attempted the question without the use of the determinant

assuming B is nonsingular

AB = O, ABinv(B) = Oinv(B), AI = O, A = O -> contradicts the original statement that A was not the zero matrix orignially this also implies there does not exist an inverse of B and thus B is also singular

I'm not sure if this is the correct to infer that the product of these two matrices is necessarily the zero matrix without using determinants from here any help would be appreciated thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why, exactly, is Ax equal to zero? What does this mean regarding the matrix product AB?

Note: I am not asking because I disagree. Those questions are big fat hints.

D H said:
Why, exactly, is Ax equal to zero? What does this mean regarding the matrix product AB?

Note: I am not asking because I disagree. Those questions are big fat hints.

Ax = 0 would be because x=0 but x = ones(6,1) so this would imply that A = 0 however A was already a matrix =/= 0 so how could that be the zero matrix?

No. x is not zero, and neither is A.

D H said:
No. x is not zero, and neither is A.

B is equal to the vector [1:6] call it d

therefore B = x*d

AB = A*x*d = 0*d = O

not sure if that's quite it but closer I think

B is not equal to the vector 1:6.

Why is Ax zero? Yes, you were told that it is zero. Don't just take this as a given. Understanding exactly why Ax=0 will help you understand why AB=0.

D H said:
B is not equal to the vector 1:6.

Why is Ax zero? Yes, you were told that it is zero. Don't just take this as a given. Understanding exactly why Ax=0 will help you understand why AB=0.

sorry B=x*[1:6] mistyped on the keyboard

well the multiplcation of A*x will equal the zero vector since the summation of each row multiplied by the column of 1's inside the vector x will be equal to zero therefore the product is equal to a vector of 0's, the same procedure will yield a matrix of zeros for the product AB? I think the explanation should be simpler than this no?

Try again. Why exactly is Ax equal to zero? Write it out.

Hint: What is the sixth column of A?

D H said:
Try again. Why exactly is Ax equal to zero? Write it out.

Hint: What is the sixth column of A?

I'm really not sure what your getting at by emphasising 'exactly'

the 6th column of A is composed of the negative of the summation of entries in each column element's particular row

this is another reason why when multiplied by vector ones(1,6) the product Ax = 0, this implies many solutions?

I'm still not sure how it applies unless the multiplication of A*x is somehow transferred over into the multiplication of A*B

That is *the* reason why Ax=0.

You appear to be thinking that because the determinant of some matrix is zero then that means that Ax will be zero for any vector x, and that AB will be zero for any matrix B. That is not the case. Example:

[tex]A=\bmatrix 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\endbmatrix[/tex]

While this matrix A is not constructed along the lines of the problem at hand, it certainly is singular. Yet A2 is not the zero matrix. In fact, A2=A.

This matrix is analogous to the problem at hand:

[tex]A=\bmatrix 1 & -1 \\ 2 & -2\endbmatrix[/tex]

This is once again singular, and

[tex]A\bmatrix 1 \\ 1 \endbmatrix = \bmatrix 0 \\ 0 \endbmatrix[/tex]

However,

[tex]A\bmatrix 1 \\ 0 \endbmatrix = \bmatrix 1 \\ 2 \endbmatrix[/tex]

Obviously not the zero vector.Back to the problem at hand: Suppose you replaced the last one in the unitary x vector with a zero. In that case, Ax is almost certainly not equal to zero.

Last edited:
so it is simply that the multiplication of rows of A and columns new B matrix will add to the zero vector? I thought there'd be more to it than that

THey won't add to the zero vector. AB is a matrix, not a vector.

D H said:
THey won't add to the zero vector. AB is a matrix, not a vector.

correction the multiplication adds up to zero elements in a matrix, correct? thank you very much for all the help and your patience btw

Correct, and you're welcome.

Related to Product of singular matrices = the zero matrix

What does it mean when the product of two singular matrices is the zero matrix?

When the product of two matrices is the zero matrix, it means that the two matrices are not invertible and their product results in all zero entries. In other words, the product of singular matrices is always a singular matrix.

Can the product of two singular matrices ever be a non-zero matrix?

No, the product of two singular matrices will always result in the zero matrix. This is because the determinant of a singular matrix is equal to zero, and the determinant of a product of matrices is equal to the product of their individual determinants.

Are there any exceptions to the rule that the product of singular matrices is the zero matrix?

No, there are no exceptions to this rule. The product of two singular matrices will always be the zero matrix regardless of their dimensions or entries.

What is the significance of the product of singular matrices being the zero matrix?

The fact that the product of singular matrices is always the zero matrix has several implications in linear algebra. It means that the system of equations represented by these matrices has either no solutions or infinite solutions. This can also be interpreted as the columns of the matrices being linearly dependent.

How can we use the product of singular matrices being the zero matrix to solve systems of equations?

When the product of two singular matrices is the zero matrix, it tells us that the system of equations has no unique solution. This can help us identify when a system of equations is inconsistent and has no solutions, or when it has infinitely many solutions. However, it does not provide a direct method for solving the system of equations.