Product of Tangent Vectors & Affine Parameter

In summary: Yes, that would also work. Essentially, any affine parameter is valid as long as it is not based on the curve length (proper time) for light-like curves. So as long as you have ##\lambda = a\tau + b##, where ##a## is non-zero, you will not be using curve length as a parameter.
binbagsss
If ##\sigma## is an affine paramter, then the only freedom of choice we have to specify another affine parameter is ##a\sigma+b##, a,b constants. [1]

For the tangent vector, ##\xi^{a}=dx^{a}/du##, along some curve parameterized by ##u##

My book says that ' if ##\xi^{a}\xi_{a}\neq 0##, then by suitable affine parameterization we can arrange such that ##\xi^{a}\xi_{a}=\pm1##,

Question:

What does it mean by some suitable affine parameterization? so say if ##\sigma## is a affine parameter and we do not have ##\xi^{a}\xi_{a}=\pm1##, is it saying that we can use [1] and carefully choose ##a## and ##b## such that this is the case?

I've often seen proper time used such that ##\xi^{a}\xi_{a}=\pm1## is the case.
Why is this?

Or Is this part of the definition of proper time, are there any other 'known' parameters for which ##\xi^{a}\xi_{a}=\pm1## or is the affine parameter for which this holds unique?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the point is that if ##\xi^a \xi_b \neq 0##, then you can pick ##a## such that ##\xi^a \xi_a = \pm 1## (##b## does not really enter into it, it is just a translation along the curve). The point is that this parametrises the curve using the curve length as parameter. In Minkowski space, for time-like curves, this means parametrising the curve with the proper time.

Orodruin said:
Yes, the point is that if ##\xi^a \xi_b \neq 0##, then you can pick ##a## such that ##\xi^a \xi_a = \pm 1## (##b## does not really enter into it, it is just a translation along the curve). The point is that this parametrises the curve using the curve length as parameter. In Minkowski space, for time-like curves, this means parametrising the curve with the proper time.

Ok. So if i use an affine parameter ##\tau+b## I Still achieve ##\xi^a \xi_a =\pm 1##?

For a null geodesic we can't use ##\tau## as it is always zero.
However am I correct in thinking that the paramter ##\tau+b## would be plausible?

Thanks.

binbagsss said:
Ok. So if i use an affine parameter ##\tau+b## I Still achieve ##\xi^a \xi_a =\pm 1##?

For a null geodesic we can't use ##\tau## as it is always zero.

Yes, if you have ##\tau' = \tau + b##, you would get ##d\tau'/d\tau = 1## and thus ##dx^\mu/d\tau = dx^\mu/d\tau'##. It is just a change of what you call "proper time equals zero".
However am I correct in thinking that the paramter ##\tau+b## would be plausible?

No, it would not be. Just by the same argumentation as above. You would still be trying to parameterise with the proper time, just with a different definition of proper time equal to zero. It does not work for light-like curves. You can still find an affine parameter, but it cannot be based on curve length (i.e., proper time).

Orodruin said:
Yes, if you have ##\tau' = \tau + b##, you would get ##d\tau'/d\tau = 1## and thus ##dx^\mu/d\tau = dx^\mu/d\tau'##. It is just a change of what you call "proper time equals zero".

No, it would not be. Just by the same argumentation as above. You would still be trying to parameterise with the proper time, just with a different definition of proper time equal to zero. It does not work for light-like curves. You can still find an affine parameter, but it cannot be based on curve length (i.e., proper time).

Is a re-scale of prper time ok, so ##\lambda=a\tau##?

FAQ: Product of Tangent Vectors & Affine Parameter

1. What is the product of tangent vectors and affine parameter?

The product of tangent vectors and affine parameter is a mathematical operation that combines two tangent vectors to create a new vector. It is commonly used in differential geometry and curved space-time theories.

2. How is the product of tangent vectors and affine parameter calculated?

The product of two tangent vectors is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. The result is then multiplied by the affine parameter, which is a scaling factor that determines the direction and magnitude of the resulting vector.

3. What is the significance of the product of tangent vectors and affine parameter?

The product of tangent vectors and affine parameter is significant in understanding the curvature of a space or surface. It allows for the calculation of the geodesic, the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, and is essential in theories such as general relativity.

4. Can the product of tangent vectors and affine parameter be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, the product of tangent vectors and affine parameter has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used in modeling and simulating curved surfaces, analyzing motion in curved space-time, and designing efficient routes in transportation systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the product of tangent vectors and affine parameter?

One limitation of the product of tangent vectors and affine parameter is that it can only be applied to smooth, differentiable surfaces. It also assumes that the curvature of the surface is constant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.