Project R4x1 onto R along N: Find Rule

• Thread starter mddoyle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projections
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rule in standard coordinates for the projection of R4x1 onto R along N. The basis for R is given as {[1,1,0,0], [0,0,1,1]}, and the basis for N is given as {[1,-1,0,0], [0,0,1,-1]}. The basis for the projection is found to be {[1,1,0,0], [0,0,1,1], [1,-1,0,0], [0,0,1,-1]}. The inverse of the matrix Q is used to find the rule, but further calculation is needed to determine the correct Q.
mddoyle

Homework Statement

Let R={[x,y,z,w]:x=y and z=w} and N={[x,y,z,w]:x=-y and z=-w}
Find the rule in standard coordinates for the projection of R4x1 onto R along N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have B wrt R as {[1,1,0,0],[0,0,1,1]} and B wrt N as {[1,-1,0,0], [0,0,1,-1]}, so my basis is {[1,1,0,0],[0,0,1,1],[1,-1,0,0],[0,0,1,-1]}.
[E]B=
[1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0]

I used my basis as my Q^(-1), so
Q=
[.5 .5 0 0
0 0 .5 .5
.5 -.5 0 0
0 0 .5 -.5]
which gives me
Q^(-1)[E]BQ=
[.5 .5 0 0
.5 .5 0 0
0 0 .5 .5
0 0 .5 .5]
so my rule would be
E[x =
y
z
w]

[x+y
x+y
z+w
z+w]

but,
E[1 =
0]

[2
0]

instead of
[1
0]

but
E[1 =
0]

[0
0]
which is correct

my Q^(-1) can't be right, but I'm not sure how to find another one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but I find this impossible to read!

FAQ: Project R4x1 onto R along N: Find Rule

1. What is "Project R4x1 onto R along N"?

"Project R4x1 onto R along N" is a mathematical process that involves projecting a vector from a higher dimensional space onto a lower dimensional space along a specific direction or vector. This is often used in linear algebra and data analysis to simplify complex data sets.

2. How is "Project R4x1 onto R along N" different from a regular projection?

The main difference between "Project R4x1 onto R along N" and a regular projection is that the former involves projecting onto a specific direction or vector, while the latter involves projecting onto a plane or line. In "Project R4x1 onto R along N", the resulting vector will be parallel to the specified direction or vector.

3. What is the purpose of "Project R4x1 onto R along N"?

The purpose of "Project R4x1 onto R along N" is to simplify and reduce the dimensionality of data sets. This can make it easier to analyze and interpret the data, as well as reduce computational complexity in certain applications.

4. How is the rule for "Project R4x1 onto R along N" determined?

The rule for "Project R4x1 onto R along N" is determined by finding the dot product between the vector being projected and the specified direction or vector. This dot product is then multiplied by the specified direction or vector, resulting in the projected vector. This process can be represented mathematically as: projn v = (v⋅n) * n, where n is the specified direction or vector and v is the vector being projected.

5. What are some real-world applications of "Project R4x1 onto R along N"?

"Project R4x1 onto R along N" has many real-world applications, including data compression, image processing, and dimensionality reduction in machine learning and data analysis. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to simplify complex systems and calculations.

Back