Projectile Launch - Earth's Radius

In summary, the launch speed of a projectile that rises above the Earth to an altitude equal to three times the Earth's radius can be calculated using the equation v_i= \sqrt{2GM(\frac{1}{R_e}-\frac{1}{4R_e})}. However, in the previous question, the incorrect equation v_{f} = \sqrt(((2GM_{e})/(4R_{e})) was used, resulting in an incorrect answer of 5.59 km/s. The correct mass of the Earth is 5.97x10^24 kg.
vworange
The answer that the book gives for the question:
What is the launch speed of a projectile that rises above the Earth to an altitude equal to the Earth's radius? Ans. 7.91 km/s

Now I have the question:
What is the launch speed of a projectile that rises above the Earth to an altitude equal to three times the Earth's radius?

So I use:
[tex]v_{f} = \sqrt(((2GM_{e})/(4R_{e}))[/tex]

Note:
G = 6.67x10^-11
Me = 5.97x10^34 kg
Re = 6.37x10^6 m

The resulting answer I get is 5.59 km/s. That equation works for an altitude equal to the Earth's radius, but not for my problem. Why not? What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Possibly using 4R_{e} instead of 3R_{e}?

vworange said:
G = 6.67x10^-11
Me = 5.97x10^34 kg
Re = 6.37x10^6 m

The resulting answer I get is 5.59 km/s. That equation works for an altitude equal to the Earth's radius, but not for my problem. Why not? What am I doing wrong?
The correct energy equation is:

[tex]KE = \Delta PE = GMm(\frac{1}{R_{i}}-\frac{1}{R_{f}})[/tex]

[tex]v_i= \sqrt{2GM(\frac{1}{R_e}-\frac{1}{4R_e})}[/tex]

BTW, the mass of the Earth is 5.97x1024 kg.

AM

FAQ: Projectile Launch - Earth's Radius

1. What is a projectile launch?

A projectile launch is the act of propelling an object, or projectile, through the air using a force. This can be achieved through various methods such as a catapult, a slingshot, or by throwing the object.

2. How does Earth's radius affect projectile launch?

Earth's radius, which is approximately 6,371 kilometers, affects projectile launch because it determines the distance that the object can travel before being pulled back to the surface by gravity. The farther away an object is from Earth's center, the weaker the gravitational pull and the longer it can stay in the air.

3. What is the relationship between Earth's radius and the angle of launch?

The angle of launch, also known as the angle of elevation, is the angle at which an object is launched into the air. The higher the angle of launch, the farther the object will travel before hitting the ground due to Earth's curvature.

4. Does air resistance play a role in projectile launch?

Yes, air resistance can affect the trajectory and distance of a projectile launch. The denser the air, the greater the resistance and the shorter the distance the object will travel. This is why projectile launches are typically done in a vacuum or at high altitudes with less air resistance.

5. Are there any other factors besides Earth's radius that can affect projectile launch?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect projectile launch including the initial velocity of the object, the angle of launch, air resistance, and external forces such as wind. These factors must be taken into account when calculating the trajectory and distance of a projectile launch.

Back