Projectile Launch Speed: Solve 876j Work Homework

In summary, the problem involves a projectile launcher that has done 876 joules of work on a 0.398 kilogram projectile. The launch speed of the projectile needs to be determined, and the equations W = F * d and mg = 3.9004 have been used, but the solution is still unknown. The work done is entirely kinetic and the applicable statement of physics is W = ΔE_k = 1/2m (v_f^2 - v_i^2).
Chica1975

Homework Statement

A projectile launcher did 876j of work on a .398kg projectile what is the launch speed of the projectile?

Homework Equations

W = f*d
mg = 3.9004
after that I am stuck

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram and tried a few things but am completely stuck. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chica1975 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram and tried a few things but am completely stuck. please help.

The work done is entirely kinetic :wink:

thanks I will look it up and try again.

W = F * d is only a mathematical tool to calculate how much work is done. The applicable statement of physics is W = [tex]\Delta[/tex]E

I would approach this problem by using the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy. In this case, the projectile launcher did 876j of work on the projectile, so we can set up the following equation:

W = ΔKE

Where W is the work done (876j) and ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy. We can also use the equation for kinetic energy:

KE = 1/2 * m * v^2

Where m is the mass of the projectile (0.398kg) and v is the launch speed we are trying to find. Substituting this into our first equation, we get:

876j = 1/2 * 0.398kg * v^2

Solving for v, we get:

v = √(2*876j/0.398kg) = 74.8 m/s

Therefore, the launch speed of the projectile is 74.8 m/s.

FAQ: Projectile Launch Speed: Solve 876j Work Homework

1. What is projectile launch speed?

Projectile launch speed is the initial velocity at which an object is launched or thrown into the air. It is the speed at which the object starts its motion.

2. How is projectile launch speed calculated?

Projectile launch speed can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the launch speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the object is launched. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the equation v = d/t, where d is the distance traveled by the object and t is the time taken to travel that distance.

3. What factors affect projectile launch speed?

The factors that affect projectile launch speed include the angle at which the object is launched, the height from which it is launched, the mass of the object, and the air resistance or drag acting on the object.

4. Why is projectile launch speed important in physics?

Projectile launch speed is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects in free fall and the effects of gravity on their trajectory. It also allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of projectiles in various scenarios, such as in sports or in military applications.

5. How can projectile launch speed be used in real-life applications?

Projectile launch speed has many real-life applications, such as in sports where it is used to analyze the trajectory of a ball or projectile. It is also important in military operations, where it is used to calculate the optimal launch speed and angle for missiles or other projectiles. Additionally, it is used in fields such as engineering and physics for designing and testing various devices and systems that involve projectile motion.

Back