Projectile Launched at an Angle: Velocity

In summary, a rock is kicked off a bridge and falls to the ground. The horizontal displacement and the time it takes for it to fall are calculated. The horizontal velocity is found when the horizontal and vertical displacement are applied to the equation for velocity.
hawkeye1029

Homework Statement

A bridge rises 321 m above the water. Supposed Jack kicks the rock horizontally off the bridge. The magnitude of the rock's horizontal displacement is 45.0 m. Find the speed at which the rock was kicked.

Homework Equations

Kinematics I think?
v = vo + at
Δx = vot + 0.5at2
v2 = vo2 + 2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, to start off I tried to divide it into x and y components:

x direction
vo = ?
v = ?
Δx = 45
a = 0
t = ? t found: 8.09 sec

y direction
vo = 0
v = ?
Δx = 321 m
a = 9.8 m/s2

So then I tried finding t (which would be the same for both):
321= 0.5(9.8)t2
t = 8.09

But what to do know? What would be the initial velocity of the rock?
Please help, thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
hawkeye1029 said:

Homework Statement

A bridge rises 321 m above the water. Supposed Jack kicks the rock horizontally off the bridge. The magnitude of the rock's horizontal displacement is 45.0 m. Find the speed at which the rock was kicked.

Homework Equations

Kinematics I think?
v = vo + at
Δx = vot + 0.5at2
v2 = vo2 + 2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, to start off I tried to divide it into x and y components:

x direction
vo = ?
v = ?
Δx = 45
a = 0

y direction
vo = 0
v = ?
Δx = 321 m
a = 9.8 m/s2

So then I tried finding t (which would be the same for both):
321= 0.5(9.8)t2
t = 8.09

But what to do know? What would be the initial velocity of the rock?
Please help, thanks everyone!
You were given how far the rock traveled in the x-direction after it was kicked. You calculated the time it took for the rock to fall from the bridge and hit the ground below.

What else do you need to calculate the speed of the rock when it was kicked?

hawkeye1029 said:
Δx = vot + 0.5at2

You need to apply this equation to both the vertical and the horizontal directions.

In the vertical direction we have

##\Delta y=v_{oy}t+\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2##.

And in the horizontal direction we have

##\Delta x=v_{ox}t+\frac{1}{2}a_xt^2##.

321= 0.5(9.8)t2

Can you show how this follows from the equation for the vertical displacement?

Then you use the value of ##t## you got using this equation in the equation for the horizontal displacement.

OK, and what would be the initial velocity after that? :confused:

Would I have to find the square root of the two velocity scalars added together?

Or would the initial velocity be the initial velocity of the x component?

You have initial vertical velocity, its acceleration and distance traveled. The rock will travel forward until it is stopped by the water.

Thanks for all the replies :).
So how would I use all this information to get the overall initial velocity? Is there some kind of formula or would I have to calculate it in some other way?

hawkeye1029 said:
Or would the initial velocity be the initial velocity of the x component?
Well, the rock is launched horizontally off the bridge, according to the problem statement.

You've done all the heavy lifting in this problem. All that remains is to calculate the horizontal velocity.

Ohh so the horizontal initial velocity is the answer to the problem?

hawkeye1029 said:
Ohh so the horizontal initial velocity is the answer to the problem?
Well, sometimes the most important part of solving a problem isn't making all the fancy calculations. It's reading and understanding what the problem wants.

When in doubt, re-read the problem statement.

OK :)
TY all :woot:!

Related to Projectile Launched at an Angle: Velocity

1. What is the equation for finding the velocity of a projectile launched at an angle?

The equation for finding the velocity of a projectile launched at an angle is v = √(v0x2 + v0y2), where v0x is the initial velocity in the x-direction and v0y is the initial velocity in the y-direction.

2. How do you calculate the initial velocity components of a projectile launched at an angle?

To calculate the initial velocity components of a projectile launched at an angle, you can use the equations v0x = v0 cos(θ) and v0y = v0 sin(θ), where v0 is the initial velocity and θ is the launch angle.

3. How does the launch angle affect the velocity of a projectile?

The launch angle affects the velocity of a projectile by determining the initial velocity components, and therefore the overall velocity. A greater launch angle will result in a higher initial velocity in the y-direction, while a smaller launch angle will result in a higher initial velocity in the x-direction.

4. What is the maximum range of a projectile launched at an angle?

The maximum range of a projectile launched at an angle is R = (v02 sin(2θ)) / g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect the velocity of a projectile launched at an angle?

Air resistance can affect the velocity of a projectile launched at an angle by slowing down the projectile as it travels through the air. This can result in a shorter range and a lower maximum height for the projectile. However, for most practical situations, the effect of air resistance is relatively small and can be ignored in calculations.