Projectile Motion and linear motion problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the maximum height of a projectile launched from a cliff of height H above sea level, which falls into the sea at a distance D from the base of the cliff. The solution involves splitting the trajectory into two parts and using equations of linear motion to calculate the height of the first segment. The final solution is H + (Dtan α)^2/4(H + Dtan α).
Clipse
A projectile is launched at an angle α from the edge of a cliff of height H above sea level. If it falls
into the sea a distance D from the base of the cliff, prove that its maximum height above sea level is

H + [(Dtan α)^2]/4(H + Dtan α)

Newtons equations of linear motion in the i/j plane.

Well, I understand that the max height is at a height H + (something) with that something being Sjmax, when Vj=0.

Ive got my Sjmax = (usin α)^2/ 2g

This is where i get a little stuck... I've tried a couple of things but the fact that its a cliff is making my reasoning wrong, if it wasnt a cliff, you could also say that the max vertical height is obtained when the horizontal displacement is D/2, the christmas break has made the old mind a little blunt... Any hints? Thanks so much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use the distance D, to find u.

In what axis is D, and when the projectile reaches the sea?

Ya, I can see you need to find an equation for u, because that's the unknown that isn't in the answer.

D is in the i plane, so do I find equations for when Sj= -H, and Si=D?

Yes! That's the way! :smile:

Not the most elegant solution but here is a way:

lets split the trajectory into two: one part where it reaches the same height as the starting point, and second part where it goes into the sea. Let's use H1, D1 and H2, D2 to denote the heights and distances of each segment:

H2 = H
D1 + D2 = D

The solution we are looking for is the height of the first parabola, H1. Let's use u to denote the initial velocity of projection. By solving the equations of motion in the i and j planes, we can get the following:

D1 = 2u2 sin[tex]\alpha[/tex] cos[tex]\alpha[/tex] / g

H1 = u2sin2 [tex]\alpha[/tex]/2g

for the second projectile, let's calculate the time of travel using the i direction:

D2 = D-D1 = ucos[tex]\alpha[/tex] * t

t = (D-D1)/ucos [tex]\alpha[/tex] =D/ucos[tex]\alpha[/tex] - 2usin[tex]\alpha[/tex]/g = Dsec[tex]\alpha[/tex]/u - 2usin[tex]\alpha[/tex]/g

use this in the equation for j direction; note here the initial velocity will be usin[tex]\alpha[/tex] pointing downwards:

H = usin[tex]\alpha[/tex] *t + 1/2*g*t2 = Dtan[tex]\alpha[/tex] - 2u2sin2[tex]\alpha[/tex]/g + g/2 * [ D2sec2[tex]\alpha[/tex]/u2 +4u2sin2[tex]\alpha[/tex]/g2 - 4Dtan[tex]\alpha[/tex]/g]
= Dtan[tex]\alpha[/tex] - 2u2sin2[tex]\alpha[/tex]/g + gD2sec2[tex]\alpha[/tex]/2u2 +2u2sin2[tex]\alpha[/tex]/g - 2Dtan[tex]\alpha[/tex]
= gD2sec2[tex]\alpha[/tex]/2u2 - Dtan[tex]\alpha[/tex]
Rearranging terms:
so, u2 = gD2sec2[tex]\alpha[/tex]/[2(H+Dtan[tex]\alpha[/tex])]

Substituting:

H1 = u2sin2[tex]\alpha[/tex]/2g = gD2sec2[tex]\alpha[/tex] * sin2[tex]\alpha[/tex] / [2g *2(H + Dtan[tex]\alpha[/tex])]
= D2tan2[tex]\alpha[/tex]/[4(H + Dtan[tex]\alpha[/tex])] // sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] * sec [tex]\alpha[/tex] = sin[tex]\alpha[/tex] / cos[tex]\alpha[/tex] = tan[tex]\alpha[/tex]

total height = H1 + H2 = H + (Dtan[tex]\alpha[/tex]) 2 / 4 (H + Dtan[tex]\alpha[/tex]) <------ solved!

I tried my best to maintain clarity but let me know if something is not clear!

FAQ: Projectile Motion and linear motion problem

1. What is Projectile Motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or any other medium, under the influence of gravity and air resistance. It is a special case of linear motion in two dimensions.

2. What are the key factors that influence Projectile Motion?

The key factors that influence Projectile Motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational force.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile determined?

The trajectory of a projectile is determined by its initial velocity and angle of launch, as well as the acceleration due to gravity and air resistance.

4. What is the difference between Projectile Motion and linear motion?

The main difference between Projectile Motion and linear motion is that in Projectile Motion, the object is subject to both horizontal and vertical motion, whereas in linear motion, the object moves only in one direction.

5. How can Projectile Motion be applied in real life?

Projectile Motion has many practical applications, such as in sports (e.g. throwing a ball or shooting a basketball), in engineering (e.g. trajectory of a rocket or a bullet), and in physics experiments (e.g. studying the motion of objects in freefall).