Projectile motion and pirate ship

In summary, the statements that are true are 1 and 6. The shell fired at an angle closest to 45° always lands farther away and shells fired at angles θ and 90°−θ above the horizontal have the same range. The statement about the heavier shell having less 'air time' is actually false and the trajectory of the shells is a parabola, not a hyperbola. Finding the time when the y-coordinate is zero again can help determine the range of the shell fired with an angle closer to the vertical.
blimkie
A pirate ship fires two shells at two identical enemy ships. Shell A hits ship A, which is close by, and shell B hits ship B, which is farther away. The shells are fired at the same speed; neglect air resistance. Select all the statements that are true; e.g., enter AB.

1. The shell fired at an angle closest to 45° always lands farther away.
2. The shell fired with an angle closer to the horizontal always has the longest range.
3. For two shells fired at the same angle, the heavier shell has less 'air time'.
4. The trajectory of the shells is a hyperbola.
5. The shell fired with an angle closer to the vertical has more `air time'.
6. Shells fired at angles θ and 90°−θ above the horizontal have the same range.

1. true
2. false
3. i initially thought this was true however my friend said this was false and his is correct
4. false...parabola
5. true i think but I am not sure
6. true

i verified 1 an 6 from diagrams in my book for projectiles of the same speed

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer 5, you must find the time when the y-coordinate is zero again.
Write y as a function of time, set y=0, and solve the quadratic in time!

and angle, 4 is wrong because it is a parabola not a hyperbola, and 5 is true because the closer the angle is to the vertical, the longer the projectile will stay in the air before hitting the ground.

FAQ: Projectile motion and pirate ship

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is thrown or launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the combined forces of gravity and the initial velocity of the object.

2. How does projectile motion apply to a pirate ship?

In the context of a pirate ship, projectile motion refers to the motion of any objects that are launched or thrown from the ship, such as cannonballs or grappling hooks.

3. How is projectile motion affected by the shape of a pirate ship?

The shape of a pirate ship can affect the trajectory of projectiles launched from it. For example, a ship with a taller mast may allow for projectiles to be launched at a higher angle, resulting in a longer range.

4. What is the importance of understanding projectile motion for a pirate ship?

Understanding projectile motion is important for a pirate ship because it allows for more accurate and effective use of weapons and navigation. It also helps in predicting the path of other ships or obstacles in the water.

5. What factors can affect the trajectory of a projectile on a pirate ship?

The trajectory of a projectile on a pirate ship can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, the angle of launch, air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the shape and height of the ship's mast.