Projectile Motion ball is launched

In summary, the ball just clears two walls of height h separated by a distance 2h in a time of 2√(h/g).
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

A ball is launched with initial speed ##2\sqrt{}gh## such that it just clears two walls of height 'h' separated by a distance 2h .What is the time taken by the ball between the two walls ?

Ans: ##2\sqrt{\frac{h}{g}}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering the origin to be at the launching point ,θ to be angle at which the ball is projected and 'x' to be distance between the origin and the first wall .

$$h = xtanθ-\frac{1}{2}\frac{gx^2}{u^2cos^2θ}$$

$$h = (x+2h)tanθ-\frac{1}{2}\frac{g(x+2h)^2}{u^2cos^2θ}$$

Solving the above two equations , we get x = h(2sin2θ-1) .

Now sure what to do next . I would be grateful if somebody could help me with the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##2\sqrt{gh}## can not be angle. Is it initial speed?

Sorry ... You are right . It is initial speed . I have corrected it.

The answer is also wrong.

Anyway: you need time, so use the equations which include time.

Last edited:
I have corrected the answer . Will reattempt this problem .

Thank you very much .

You do not care about the launching point and the initial launch angle. You can trivially the speed of the ball as it reaches the first wall, which reduces the problem to motion between the walls.

ehild said:
The answer is also wrong.
Yes, shouldn't it be √(h/g)?

lep11 said:
Yes, shouldn't it be √(h/g)?
The OP has been corrected. The answer 2√(h/g) is right.

voko said:
You do not care about the launching point and the initial launch angle. You can trivially the speed of the ball as it reaches the first wall, which reduces the problem to motion between the walls.

Can you elaborate on the triviality of the speed of the ball as it reaches the first wall? I'm guessing it falls out of the symmetry of the problem, but I must say that it isn't obvious to me.

The initial speed is known;
so the initial kinetic energy known;
the height of the wall is known;
so the potential energy at the wall is known;
PROFIT

voko said:
The initial speed is known;
so the initial kinetic energy known;
the height of the wall is known;
so the potential energy at the wall is known;
PROFIT

Hah, fair enough, I was completely ignoring energy considerations.

FAQ: Projectile Motion ball is launched

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object in a curved path due to the force of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. How does the angle of launch affect projectile motion?

The angle of launch affects the horizontal and vertical components of the object's velocity, which in turn affects the path of the projectile and its range. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees.

3. What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the range of a projectile is: R = (v2sin2θ) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the speed and trajectory of a projectile. As the projectile moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction, which can decrease its speed and alter its path.

5. What are some real-life examples of projectile motion?

Some real-life examples of projectile motion include throwing a ball, a missile being launched, a cannonball being fired, and a basketball being shot into a hoop. Any object that is launched or thrown and moves in a curved path due to gravity is an example of projectile motion.

Back