Projectile Motion: Calculate the speed of the plane

In summary, a plane diving at an angle of 53 degrees with the vertical releases a projectile at an altitude of 730m. The projectile takes 5 seconds to hit the ground. To find the speed of the plane, calculate the time it would take for the object to fall straight down and use that to find the velocity of the plane. The projectile travels 968.7m in the horizontal direction and 1213m in the hypotenuse, with a velocity of 242.6 m/s at an angle of 53 degrees just before it strikes the ground.
ntox101

Homework Statement

A plane, diving at an angle of 53 degrees with the vertical, releases a projectile at an altitude of 730m. The projectile hits the ground 5.0 seconds after being released.

a.) Calculate the speed of the plane

b.) Calculate the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile during its flight.

c.) Calculate the velocity of the projectile just before it strikes the ground. Express the answer in magnitude-direction form.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start with this. How am I able to find the velocity of the plane? I can calculate velocity, position, acceleration, etc all day about the projectile. I have the vectors drawn up but I can't put the pieces together. I really just need a place to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the time it would take the object to fall from this height, and you will see that if it fell straight down it will be a different time, because it travels a greater distance because it has a forward component (from the plane). From here, you can find the velocity of the plane.

The time is already calculated in the problem. It says that it takes the projectile 5 seconds to hit the ground. I do understand it has horizontal and vertical components. Maybe I misunderstood you?

You have the time that it took to fall, but it did not fall straight down. How long would it take it to fall straight down?

Ok, these are my values. I have that it traveled 968.7m in the x-direction. I have it that it traveled 1213m in the let's say, the hypotenuse (if you draw a vector). I found the velocity to be 242.6 m/s. I am not good at explaining because I don't have symbols. Here are the values I came up with.

a.) 242.6 m/s
b.) 968.7 m
c.) 485.2 m/s

Related to Projectile Motion: Calculate the speed of the plane

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown, launched, or otherwise projected into the air and then continues its motion under the influence of gravity alone.

2. What factors affect the speed of a projectile?

The speed of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of projection, the mass and shape of the object, and air resistance.

3. How do you calculate the speed of a projectile?

The speed of a projectile can be calculated using the formula: speed = initial velocity x cosine(angle of projection). This formula assumes no air resistance and a constant acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the speed of a projectile change during its motion?

Yes, the speed of a projectile can change during its motion due to factors such as air resistance and changes in the angle of projection.

5. How does the speed of a projectile affect its trajectory?

The speed of a projectile affects its trajectory by determining the distance it travels and the height it reaches. A higher speed will result in a longer distance and a greater height, while a lower speed will result in a shorter distance and a lower height.