Projectile Motion calculation problem

In summary, the golfer must impart an initial launch angle of 36 degrees to the ball in order to follow the trajectory indicated in the figure above.
x2017

Homework Statement

1.png

Homework Equations

D=VΔt
Vf=Vi+ayΔt
Df=Di+VyΔt+(1/2)ayΔt2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for d using 1/2ayΔt2 and got 10.30m (Solving for d is a question later on in this assignment and i checked it there and it is incorrect...)

Then I used
Df=Di+VyΔt+(1/2)ayΔt2
but every time I try this equation I get the wrong answer because I am unable to calculate d correctly...

I'm not sure if I'm stuck because I can't get d right and need d for Vxinitial or if I'm just going about solving for Vxinitial all wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the diagram carefully. What parameters of the projectile do you know from the diagram?

Try breaking the problem into solvable segments.
What vertical velocity is required to reach a height of 2 h?
How long does it take to reach that height?
What horizontal velocity is required, etc.?

cnh1995 said:
Look at the diagram carefully. What parameters of the projectile do you know from the diagram?

I know the lengths of x, h, 2h, could get the hypotenuse of the x/2h triangle...

J Hann said:
Try breaking the problem into solvable segments.
What vertical velocity is required to reach a height of 2 h?
How long does it take to reach that height?
What horizontal velocity is required, etc.?

I have:
Vyinitial=12.05m/s
Time for the ball to reach max height above the tree=1.23s
Time for ball to travel from max height above tree to the surface of the upper green=0.87s
from previous questions. Meant to put this info up top in the first post (all three of these numbers are correct).

x2017 said:
Vyinitial=12.05m/s
Are you sure? I'm getting a different answer. You have maximum height h of the projectile as 3.7m.

cnh1995 said:
Are you sure? I'm getting a different answer. You have maximum height h of the projectile as 3.7m.

Yep!

Dyfinal=Dyinitial+VyinitialΔt+(1/2)ayΔt2
3.7=0+VyinitialΔt+(1/2)(9.81)Δt2

Δt=[(2Δdy)/g]
Δt=[(2)(3.7)/9.81]1/2
Δt=1.23

7.4=0+Vyinitial(1.23)+(1/2)(9.81)(1.23)2
14.82/1.23=Vyinitial
12.05m/s=Vyinitial

Max height is 2h isn't it? So it'd be 7.4m

3.png

x2017 said:
Max height is 2h isn't it? So it'd be 7.4m
Oh sorry! I didn't read the h in the green part of the tree:-p:-p.. 12.05m/s it is.. Did you get Vx?

cnh1995 said:
Oh sorry! I didn't read the h in the green part of the tree:-p:-p.. 12.05m/s it is.. Did you get Vx?

No worries! :)
No, I'm stuck on Vxinitial, I got the y-component right away so I'm confused as so why I am unable to get the x-component!
I using this equation Dyfinal=Dyinitial+VyinitialΔt+(1/2)ayΔt2 again but nothing I try works out...:frown:

You have Vyinitial=12.05m/s. You can calculate the angle of projection θ using the height and x. Since Vyinitial=Vinitialsinθ, you can get Vinitial.

cnh1995 said:
You can calculate the angle of projection θ using the height and x.
Not by pythagoras and trigonometry. Here, x is half of the range(R/2)of the projectile and 2h is the maximum height. There is a relation between R, H and θ. You can get θ from it and proceed.

cnh1995 said:
Not by pythagoras and trigonometry. Here, x is half of the range(R/2)of the projectile and 2h is the maximum height. There is a relation between R, H and θ. You can get θ from it and proceed.

Phew, okay thanks! I was trying with pythagoras/trig and was like "why am I not getting it?"
I'll try this way now!

x2017 said:
Phew, okay thanks! I was trying with pythagoras/trig and was like
There's one simpler way. You can know the time taken to reach the maximum height. Using that time and horizontal distance x, you can calculate Vx. Vx is constant throughout. The relation between R,H and θ is Rtanθ=4H.

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
There's one simpler way. You can know the time taken to reach the maximum height. Using that time and horizontal distance x, you can calculate Vx. Vx is constant throughout. The relation between R,H and θ is Rsinθ=4H.

I wasn't getting it so I just tried Vx=dx/t as a last ditch effort and that worked...
Vx=10.4/1.23
Vx=8.46m/s

However, for the next part of the question
"A golfer must hit a pitch shot over a tree and onto an elevated green. Assuming air resistance is negligible, what initial launch angle must be imparted to the ball so that it will follow the trajectory indicated in the figure above? Answer in degrees above the horizontal."
Using the inverse tan doesn't work so would I use the method you're talking about?

EDIT:
never mind, it did work with the trig. I had to use the velocities not the distances (duh)
Thanks for all of your help!

x2017 said:
Thanks for all of your help!
You're welcome!
θ=tan-1(Vy/Vx)..
The relation between R, H and θ i.e. Rtanθ=4H can also be used as one of the standard formulae..

Likes x2017

Related to Projectile Motion calculation problem

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

To calculate the initial velocity of a projectile, you need to know the horizontal distance traveled, the vertical distance traveled, and the time taken for the projectile to reach its destination. Then, you can use the equation V = d/t (where V is velocity, d is distance, and t is time) to calculate the initial velocity. Alternatively, you can use the equation V = u + at (where u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time) if you know the acceleration of the projectile.

2. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion refers to the motion of a projectile traveling only in the horizontal direction, while vertical projectile motion refers to the motion of a projectile traveling only in the vertical direction. In horizontal projectile motion, the velocity in the horizontal direction remains constant, while in vertical projectile motion, the velocity changes due to the acceleration of gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can significantly affect the trajectory of a projectile. As the projectile travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force can cause the projectile to slow down and deviate from its expected path. In some cases, air resistance may also cause a projectile to fall short of its target.

4. Can the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

Yes, the angle of launch can significantly affect the range of a projectile. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as this angle allows for the most efficient use of the initial velocity. Launching at a lower or higher angle will result in a shorter range due to the effect of gravity on the projectile's trajectory.

5. How can you calculate the time of flight for a projectile?

The time of flight for a projectile can be calculated using the formula t = 2v*sinθ/g, where t is the time of flight, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, you can use the equation t = (2hv/g)^0.5, where h is the maximum height reached by the projectile. Both equations will give you the same result.