Projectile Motion: Calculations and Help for 40 m/s Velocity and 20° Angle

In summary, the conversation is about projectile motion questions and the activity on a specific website. The questions involve setting parameters for velocity, angle, and gravity, and calculating horizontal and vertical velocity, time in the air, and force of gunpowder on a cannon ball. The person also asks for help with using equations of motion.
navee
Hi I am doing Projectile Motion questions can you please help me, The Activity is on this website here

The question are these

Set velocity to 40 m/s and angel to 20° and gravity to -9.8 and uncheck the drag box check mark.

1) What is the horizontal distance the cannon travels ----> I get 170 meters is that correct

2) Calculate the vertical velocity (V y-axis) of the ball. show the trig steps
-----> I get 13.7 meters is that correct

3) Calculate the howizontal velocity (V x-axis) of the ball. show the trig steps
-----> I get 37.6 meters is that correct

4) Determine the amount of time the ball is in the air
-----> I get 20.7 seconds and I koe its wrong can you please help me

5) If the cannon is 1 m long, and the cannon ball has a mass of 15 kg, what is the force of the gunpowder on the cannon ball

-----> ok? how do i DO this please help and check my answers if they are right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any equations of motion you are suppose to use? What have you tried?

like sin, or cos for determing the vix and viy and w/e

Related to Projectile Motion: Calculations and Help for 40 m/s Velocity and 20° Angle

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is affected by gravity. This type of motion is characterized by a constant horizontal velocity and a vertical acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the trajectory and range of the projectile.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = v2sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between projectile motion and free fall?

Projectile motion and free fall are similar in that both involve objects moving through the air under the influence of gravity. However, projectile motion involves a horizontal velocity component, while free fall only involves vertical motion.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can decrease the range of a projectile by slowing down its horizontal velocity. It also affects the shape and trajectory of the projectile. In some cases, air resistance may be negligible, but in others, it can significantly impact the motion of the projectile.

Back