Projectile Motion Cannon Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on projectile motion involving a cannon shooting a projectile at a 43 degree angle from a 25m high cliff. The minimum muzzle velocity to clear the top of the cliff is solved for using equations for the x and y directions. The correct answer is determined to be 32.6m/s. The importance of posting homework problems in the designated forum is also mentioned.
NBAJam100
Im new to the forum, so.. hello everyone!

I have a quick question on projectile motion that i can't seem to get...

A cannon 60m from the base of a 25m high cliff shoots a 15kg projectile at 43 degrees above the horizon...

(a)- what is the minimum muzzle velocity for the shell to clear to top of the cliff...

now i know that in the x direction- t= 60m/Vo(cos(43)t
In the y direction- 25m=Vo(cos(43))t+(.5)(9.8)t^2

I tried about 20 times to solve for either t or Vo and then plug that into the other equation and solve for one of the variables and then put that value into the next formula and solve for that but i can't seem to get the correct answer, which is apparently Vo= 32.6m/s. Where am i going wrong here?? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
now i know that in the x direction- t= 60m/Vo(cos(43)t
In the y direction- 25m=Vo(cos(43))t+(.5)(9.8)t^2
I don't know if you're just making typos here, but there shouldn't be a t at the end of your first equation.

In your second one, that should be sin43, not cos43, since it is the y component of the initial velocity. Also, watch your signs.

For future reference, there is a Homework Forum where you can post homework problems.

Ah! yeah i don't know why i had those extra variables in there... ill be sure to post in the homework help section from now on, thanks! Got the answer by the way.

Related to Projectile Motion Cannon Question

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through space when it is only influenced by the force of gravity. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects that are thrown, launched, or otherwise projected into the air.

2. How does a cannon use projectile motion?

A cannon uses projectile motion by launching a projectile, such as a cannonball, at an angle and with a specific initial velocity. As the cannonball moves through the air, it follows a curved path due to the force of gravity, eventually landing on the ground.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile launched from a cannon?

The trajectory of a projectile launched from a cannon is affected by the initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. Air resistance can also play a role in altering the trajectory.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile launched from a cannon?

The range of a projectile launched from a cannon can be calculated using the formula range = (initial velocity squared x sin(2 * launch angle))/(acceleration due to gravity). This formula takes into account the initial velocity, launch angle, and force of gravity to determine how far the projectile will travel.

5. How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in many real-life situations, such as sports (e.g. throwing a football or shooting a basketball), launching rockets into space, and even in the trajectory of bullets fired from a gun. Understanding projectile motion is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and ballistics.