Projectile Motion: Determine v_0 to go over a fence

In summary, to calculate the speed with which the ball must be hit (v0) in order to clear a fence D away and H high with a given angle θ, we can use the equations y = y0 + (v0*sinθ) - ½gt^2 and x = v0*t*cosθ. By substituting H for y and D for x and solving for v0 in equation 2, we can then eliminate t by solving for it in equation 1 using the quadratic formula. This results in a simplified equation that can be used to find the required speed for the ball to clear the fence. However, it is recommended to plot the resulting parametric equations with real numbers to double check the answer.
CapnKrump

Homework Statement

You're the new home run hitter for a baseball team. Your job is to hit the ball over a fence D away and H high. For a given angle θ calculate the speed with which the ball must be hit v0 to go over the top of the fence.

Homework Equations

1. y = y0+(v0*sinθ)-½gt2
2. x = v0*t*cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using H as my y value from eq. 1 and D as my x value in eq. 2. I solved for v0 in eq. 2 (D/(t*cosθ)), then attempted to eliminate t by solving for it in equation 1 using the quadratic formula. Then I substituted the result into the D/(t*cosθ) equation.

The result is a very bulky equation that I'm unsure is correct. A tutor said my reasoning was sound, and was unable to come up with a more simplified answer himself. What do you guys think? Am I even on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
it's complicated.

The problem, the answer, or both?

The best double check is to plot the resulting parametric equations with real numbers and see if it clears the fence.

Your quoted equation for y is missing something. I assume that's just a typo.
I assume H is the height relative to the point of impact, so y0=0.
The only use of t here is to connect the horizontal and vertical motions, so I would start by obtaining a single equation relating x and y, with t absent.
After that it does not look complicated to me. You can get a small simplification by using the formulae for sin(2θ) and cos(2θ).
Please post your working.

Related to Projectile Motion: Determine v_0 to go over a fence

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How do you determine the initial velocity needed to go over a fence?

To determine the initial velocity needed to go over a fence, you need to consider the height of the fence, the distance from the starting point to the fence, and the angle at which the object is launched. Using the equations of motion and trigonometry, you can calculate the initial velocity required.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as wind, air density, and surface conditions can also have an impact on the path of the projectile.

4. Can you determine the initial velocity using only the height of the fence and the distance?

No, in order to accurately determine the initial velocity, you also need to know the angle at which the object is launched. Without this information, the calculated initial velocity would be an estimate and may not be enough to clear the fence.

5. How does projectile motion apply to real-life situations?

Projectile motion is commonly observed in sports, such as baseball, basketball, and golf. It is also used in engineering and military applications, such as the trajectory of missiles and rockets. Understanding projectile motion can help in predicting and analyzing the path of objects in motion.

Back