Projectile Motion - Distance between Packages

In summary, the distance between the falling packages will increase due to the effects of gravitational acceleration and the constant horizontal component of velocity. This is because the second package is released one second after the first and has a displacement of 4.9 meters, while the first package has already fallen 4.9 meters. This results in a difference of 4.9 meters, which will continue to increase as the packages fall.
MohammadG

Homework Statement

A package of supplies is dropped from a plane and one second later a second package is dropped. Neglecting air resistance, the distance between the falling packages will:

A) Be constant
B) decrease
C) increase
D) depend on their weight

Homework Equations

Sv=1/2 av t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I thought it would be constant but my teacher informed me it was C. He didn't explain why though. I'm assuming the planes speed is constant, which means both package will be subject to the same horizontal component of velocity. However the first package would have already fallen (4.9 meters) downwards due to gravitational acceleration. The second one would then be released and would be subject to the same forces. (As horizontal component of velocity would remain constant)

So I don't see how they would have an increasing distance.

My idea was,

Sv=1/2(9.8)(1)^2 = 4.9

Sv=1/2(9.8)(2)^2 = 19.6

Sv=1/2(9.8)(3)^2 = 44.1

Therefore, when package 1 is at 4.9, package 2 is at 0 (displacement). [difference 4.9 m]
When package 1, is at 19.6, package 2 is at 4.9. [difference of 14.7m]

etc and its increasing.

I think this is the right answer. How can I explain this in a sentence using physics terms. Its a multiple choice question so no calculations were needed even though I did some.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which direction, x-or -y is the question referring?

physicsisgrea said:
Which direction, x-or -y is the question referring?

Both x and y. However as the horizontal component won't change, we can just use the vertical component correct?

As both have the same trajectory.

Related to Projectile Motion - Distance between Packages

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity. This type of motion is seen in objects such as balls, arrows, and missiles.

2. How is the distance between packages affected by projectile motion?

The distance between packages can be affected by projectile motion if the packages are thrown or launched with a certain initial velocity and angle. This can cause the packages to follow a curved path and land at different distances from each other.

3. What factors influence the distance between packages in projectile motion?

The distance between packages in projectile motion is influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can impact the trajectory and ultimately the distance between the two packages.

4. How can the distance between packages be calculated in projectile motion?

The distance between packages in projectile motion can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time in flight. Alternatively, computer simulations or experiments can also be used to determine the distance between packages.

5. What are some real-world applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion has many real-world applications, including sports such as basketball and baseball, where players must calculate the trajectory of their throws. It is also used in military applications such as artillery fire and in space exploration for launching rockets and satellites into orbit.