Projectile Motion - Equivalent javelin throw performed on the moon

In summary, experts recommend using a release angle of 35 degrees for javelin throwing on Earth, as this is the most optimal angle. To calculate the length of an equivalent throw on the moon, you use the distance on Earth as a starting point and then convert it to lunar distance using the gravitational force and the moon's mass.
rachel1234

Homework Statement

Experts recommend a release angle of 35 degrees for javelin throwing, use this as the release angle. Determine what the length of the equivalent throw on the moon would be. Clearly communicate the procedure you followed, and fully justify your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure about the information provided, as it hasn't given a velocity or a range of the projectile. But I guess a general rule for the conversion between a throw on Earth and its equivalent on the moon can still be determined?
I have read some solutions which say that the range will just be six times whatever it was on Earth, as the moon's gravity is approx. 1/6 of Earth's gravity.
I don't know whether it's just me overthinking, but that sounds way too simple!

Physics news on Phys.org
rachel1234 said:

Homework Statement

Experts recommend a release angle of 35 degrees for javelin throwing, use this as the release angle. Determine what the length of the equivalent throw on the moon would be. Clearly communicate the procedure you followed, and fully justify your answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure about the information provided, as it hasn't given a velocity or a range of the projectile. But I guess a general rule for the conversion between a throw on Earth and its equivalent on the moon can still be determined?
I have read some solutions which say that the range will just be six times whatever it was on Earth, as the moon's gravity is approx. 1/6 of Earth's gravity.
I don't know whether it's just me overthinking, but that sounds way too simple!

Hi rachel1234, Welcome to Physics Forums.

You should be able to derive an expression for the range of the projectile which will allow you to prove or disprove your conjecture. Assume that the javelin is launched with the same velocity V in both cases, and that the accelerations due to gravity are ##g_e## and ##g_m##.

What gneil said.

Write the equation for the distance on earth. It will contain g. Replace g with 1/6 g.

Okay, I think I'm alright with that part now. Thank you!
Also, would I have to discuss the effects of drag, resistance, etc.? The javelin is already a rather streamlined design to reduce the effects of such forces.

35 degrees is, presumably, optimal because of the drag in Earth's atmosphere. On the moon, 45 degrees is likely much better, but you're told to use 35. In principle, you could use the optimality of 35 degrees to deduce something about the drag on Earth, and adjust for the lack of drag on the moon. But I suspect that's way beyond the intent of the question.

Related to Projectile Motion - Equivalent javelin throw performed on the moon

1. How does the gravity on the moon affect the projectile motion of a javelin throw?

The gravity on the moon is approximately one-sixth of the gravity on Earth. This means that the acceleration due to gravity on the moon is also one-sixth of the acceleration on Earth. Therefore, the javelin will experience a slower acceleration and travel further in the same amount of time compared to a throw on Earth.

2. Will the angle of release affect the distance of the javelin throw on the moon?

Yes, the angle of release will still affect the distance of the javelin throw on the moon. The optimal angle of release for maximum distance is still 45 degrees, regardless of the gravitational force.

3. How does air resistance play a role in javelin throwing on the moon?

Air resistance plays a much smaller role in javelin throwing on the moon due to the thin atmosphere. This means that the javelin will experience less drag and will maintain its velocity for a longer period of time, resulting in a longer distance.

4. Will the weight of the javelin be different on the moon?

Yes, the weight of the javelin will be different on the moon due to the difference in gravitational force. However, the mass of the javelin will remain the same. This means that the javelin will feel lighter on the moon compared to Earth.

5. Can the same techniques used for javelin throwing on Earth be applied to throwing on the moon?

Yes, the same techniques and principles of projectile motion can be applied to throwing a javelin on the moon. However, the difference in gravity and air resistance must be taken into account for optimal performance.