Projectile Motion: Exploring Energies & Forces

• Thread starter TheRandomCrab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: Are you sure you have provided the entire question as set to you, word for word?The reference to "the projectiles" suggests that you are talking about projectiles fired from a gun. The initial and final energies of the projectile are affected by the angle of launch, but the force of the impact with the ground is the same for projectiles launched at different angles.
TheRandomCrab
Member warned to show an attempt at solution, complete template.

Homework Statement

Questions: 1. What can be said about the energies of the projectiles launched at different angles? Explain.

2. Will the projectiles launched at different angles hit the ground with the same force or with different forces?
Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
TheRandomCrab said:

Homework Statement

Questions: 1. What can be said about the energies of the projectiles launched at different angles? Explain.

2. Will the projectiles launched at different angles hit the ground with the same force or with different forces?
Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you should explain, you're missing your attempt at the solution. What have you done so far? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Student100 said:
I think you should explain, you're missing your attempt at the solution. What have you done so far? What are your thoughts on the matter?

The energies decrease as the angle gets bigger and the projectiles launched at different angles hit the ground with with the same force, its an introduction to physics just a little confused. But that's what I think.

TheRandomCrab said:
The energies decrease as the angle gets bigger and the projectiles launched at different angles hit the ground with with the same force, its an introduction to physics just a little confused. But that's what I think.

Why would the energies decrease as the angle gets larger? Assuming a uniform launch, what is final and initial energies of the projectile launched at various angles? What about the conservation of energy?

Student100 said:
Why would the energies decrease as the angle gets larger? Assuming a uniform launch, what is final and initial energies of the projectile launched at various angles? What about the conservation of energy?
I keep reading that the initial kinetic energy is sporadic or it goes up and down depending on the angle.

TheRandomCrab said:
I keep reading that the initial kinetic energy is sporadic or it goes up and down depending on the angle.

Come again?

How would the angle change the amount of energy of the projectile? Think about it for a second.

Think about a spring loaded gun, does the energy stored in the spring have any knowledge of the angle it's pointing in?

Student100 said:
Come again?

How would the angle change the amount of energy of the projectile? Think about it for a second.

Think about a spring loaded gun, does the energy stored in the spring have any knowledge of the angle it's pointing in?

I know that's what I am reading I thought the same.

Energy is scalar.

TheRandomCrab said:
Can you provide an exact quote for that, specifying the context?
There is a subtlety here. The max KE during the upward flight will be when the spring reaches its relaxed length. If pointing up at some angle, it will already have raised the object against gravity. The steeper the angle, the more the work that was spent on that, so the less available for KE.
To avoid such details, sometimes the question specifies 'ground level' as the original height of the projectile. Thus, all of the original spring energy is available as KE when it hits the ground.

Likes TheRandomCrab and Student100
haruspex said:
Can you provide an exact quote for that, specifying the context?
There is a subtlety here. The max KE during the upward flight will be when the spring reaches its relaxed length. If pointing up at some angle, it will already have raised the object against gravity. The steeper the angle, the more the work that was spent on that, so the less available for KE.
To avoid such details, sometimes the question specifies 'ground level' as the original height of the projectile. Thus, all of the original spring energy is available as KE when it hits the ground.
So do they hit the ground with the same force

TheRandomCrab said:
So do they hit the ground with the same force
"Force" would not be the right term, despite popular usage. They would land at the same speed, so the same KE and the same magnitude of momentum. The force on the projectile from the ground depends on the time and distance that the projectile takes to stop. And, being a vector, it also depends on the angle of impact.

Likes Student100
haruspex said:
"Force" would not be the right term, despite popular usage. They would land at the same speed, so the same KE and the same magnitude of momentum. The force on the projectile from the ground depends on the time and distance that the projectile takes to stop. And, being a vector, it also depends on the angle of impact.

I need to write two paragraphs on these 2 questions anything more?

TheRandomCrab said:
I need to write two paragraphs on these 2 questions anything more?
Are you sure you have provided the entire question as set to you, word for word?
The reference to "the projectiles" suggests some missing preamble.

haruspex said:
Are you sure you have provided the entire question as set to you, word for word?
The reference to "the projectiles" suggests some missing preamble.

Yep entire questions

TheRandomCrab said:
Yep entire questions

You still haven't answered number 1 (I think), the question states energy, not just KE. So is there any difference dependent on the angle?

Student100 said:
You still haven't answered number 1 (I think), the question states energy, not just KE. So is there any difference dependent on the angle?

I don't know uhhhhh

TheRandomCrab said:
I don't know uhhhhh

Lets make some assumptions: We have an isolated system, the projectile is launched from ground level, none of the initial energy from the launch is converted into internal energy, it doesn't rotate, we ignore the collision with the ground, and there are no external forces acting on the projectile/launcher.

Dependent on the angle of launch, some of the initial KE is converted into a form of potential energy: mgh. The greater the angle, the more KE is getting converted into gravitational potential energy on the arc upwards, does the total energy of the system change in this case?

Imagine it is just pointed up at 90 degrees, so that at the peak of the flight when the KE is 0, all the energy is potential. When it returns to ground level and gravitational potential energy is 0, KE is maxed. What can you say about the energy dependent on angle of launch? Then look at an angle of 0 so that the projectile rolls across the ground, without external forces acting on the projectile, all the energy in this case is kinetic. Is this initial and final energy a greater value than the energy of the 90 degree launch?

I think something along these lines is what the questions trying to get you to think about, maybe I'm wrong.

Student100 said:
Lets make some assumptions: We have an isolated system, the projectile is launched from ground level, none of the initial energy from the launch is converted into internal energy, it doesn't rotate, we ignore the collision with the ground, and there are no external forces acting on the projectile/launcher.

Dependent on the angle of launch, some of the initial KE is converted into a form of potential energy: mgh. The greater the angle, the more KE is getting converted into gravitational potential energy on the arc upwards, does the total energy of the system change in this case?

Imagine it is just pointed up at 90 degrees, so that at the peak of the flight when the KE is 0, all the energy is potential. When it returns to ground level and gravitational potential energy is 0, KE is maxed. What can you say about the energy dependent on angle of launch? Then look at an angle of 0 so that the projectile rolls across the ground, without external forces acting on the projectile, all the energy in this case is kinetic. Is this initial and final energy a greater value than the energy of the 90 degree launch?

I think something along these lines is what the questions trying to get you to think about, maybe I'm wrong.

There but not quite. I can base this off of a data sheet with distance and angles time etc.. and such

TheRandomCrab said:
There but not quite. I can base this off of a data sheet with distance and angles time etc.. and such

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

Student100 said:
Can you elaborate on what you mean?

Its like a lab based on projectile motion

TheRandomCrab said:

Is this where the questions come from? Can you describe the lab to us? There's missing information somewhere. :P

I can't post it though

TheRandomCrab said:
I can't post it though

That's fine, just post your methodology for the lab (type it out). The added context will change how people help you answer 1&2.

can't post it though

ncee4h.png

TheRandomCrab said:
ncee4h.png

I don't need the data, what did you do for the experiment? What was the setup. :P

Student100 said:
I don't need the data, what did you do for the experiment? What was the setup. :P
data helps but I did not do the experiment but the experiment is too shoot a marble down a pvc pipe at different angles held up by a stack of textbooks and mark the fall of the marble ball through carbon paper and then measure distances

TheRandomCrab said:
So that's the context for these questions? You didn't think to mention this in reply to my post #13?

FAQ: Projectile Motion: Exploring Energies & Forces

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity, after being launched at an angle.

2. What are the factors that affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How is energy involved in projectile motion?

Energy is involved in projectile motion because the object's kinetic energy and potential energy are constantly changing as it moves through the air, due to the forces acting on it.

4. How do forces play a role in projectile motion?

Forces play a crucial role in projectile motion as they determine the direction and speed of the object's motion. The force of gravity acts downwards, while air resistance can act in the opposite direction, slowing the object down.

5. What are some real-life examples of projectile motion?

Some real-life examples of projectile motion include throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, and launching a rocket into space. These all involve an object being launched at an angle and moving under the influence of gravity.

Back