Projectile Motion: Find Initial Velocity of Diver Springing From 3m Board

• Thread starter ladolce
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a diver jumping from a 3 meter high diving board and determining their initial velocity given their speed and angle at the moment of contact with the water. The use of kinematics equations and the horizontal component of velocity are mentioned in the attempt to solve the problem, with the final answer being achieved through the help of others.
ladolce

Homework Statement

A diver springs upward from a board that is three meters above the water. At the instant she contacts the water her speed is 9.10 m/s and her body makes an angle of 75.0° with respect to the horizontal surface of the water. Determine her initial velocity, both magnitude and direction.

Homework Equations

Kinematics equations :)

The Attempt at a Solution

I already got 4.9 m/s as the magnitude of the vector, but can't seem to get the direction in degrees!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the horizontal component of her velocity?

i just used the (9.1)squared=v initial squared +2(-9.8)(-3) and got the v initial magnitude...i don't know how to get the components is why I'm confused actually

Hint: You have her final speed and angle. Use it!

ok, so i got 3.85 as vx and for vy =8.79 but how does that help me?

ladolce said:
ok, so i got 3.85 as vx
Show how you got that value.

but how does that help me?
Does the horizontal component of velocity change as the diver falls?

Haha I got the answer...thanks for your help =)

Related to Projectile Motion: Find Initial Velocity of Diver Springing From 3m Board

1. How does a projectile's angle affect its trajectory?

The angle at which a projectile is launched affects its trajectory by determining the vertical and horizontal components of its motion. A higher angle will result in a higher peak height and a longer flight time, while a lower angle will result in a shorter flight time and a lower peak height.

2. What factors affect the distance a projectile can travel?

The distance a projectile can travel is affected by several factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the height of the launch point. Other factors may include the mass and shape of the projectile, as well as the presence of external forces like wind.

3. Can a projectile's trajectory be affected by external forces?

Yes, external forces such as air resistance and wind can affect a projectile's trajectory. These forces can cause the projectile to deviate from its intended path and can impact its distance and accuracy.

4. Is the trajectory of a projectile affected by its mass?

Yes, the mass of a projectile can affect its trajectory. A heavier projectile will have a greater inertia and may be less affected by external forces such as air resistance. However, other factors such as initial velocity and angle of launch also play a significant role in determining the trajectory of a projectile.

5. How does air resistance impact a projectile's trajectory?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can impact a projectile's trajectory by slowing it down and causing it to deviate from its intended path. This force is dependent on the shape and size of the projectile, as well as the density and viscosity of the air through which it is traveling.