Projectile motion: Finding flight distance with air resistance

In summary, a ball of mass 9N is shot from a slingshot at an angle of 60° from the ground with an elasticity of 700N/m and an air resistance of 3.66 kg/s. The ball has an initial force of 350N and an initial energy of 87.5J. Without air resistance, the ball would travel 17.4m in the x-direction, but with air resistance, its distance traveled is more difficult to calculate and may require numerical methods.
proctortom

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 9N is shot from a slingshot at an angle of 60° from the ground. The slingshot is sitting 1m above the ground. The elasticity of the slingshot is k = 700N/m. Take gravity = 10m/s^2

Air resistance must be taken into account also. Use the formula D = ( C*P*(U^2)*A )/2
D = Drag
C = 1
P = 1.2
U = 13.94
A = 0.03142

How far (in the x direction) has the ball traveled when it hits the ground??

Homework Equations

F = ma
E = 0.5mv^2
d = vt
d = vt + 0.5at^2
D = ( C*P*(U^2)*A )/2 (D = Drag)

The Attempt at a Solution

The following calculations have already been found:

Initial force in Ball = 350N
Initial Energy in Ball = 87.5J

Time of flight without air resistance = 5.5sec
X-distance traveled without air resistance = 17.4m

Drag = 3.66 kg/s

I don't know how to apply the air resistance (drag) formula/calculation to what I have found.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is quite hard as a problem. A 1D problem with quadratic drag could be solved analytically, but in 2D and higher, as far as I know, it can only be solved numerically.

FAQ: Projectile motion: Finding flight distance with air resistance

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a type of motion that follows a curved path rather than a straight line due to the force of gravity.

2. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves through the air. It is caused by the collision of air particles with the surface of the object, resulting in a decrease in its speed and distance traveled.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance affects projectile motion by reducing the distance and speed of the object. As the object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to slow down and travel a shorter distance.

4. How can I calculate flight distance with air resistance?

To calculate flight distance with air resistance, you will need to know the initial velocity, angle of launch, and mass of the object. Then, using equations of motion and taking into account the force of air resistance, you can calculate the flight distance of the object.

5. How can air resistance be minimized in projectile motion?

Air resistance can be minimized in projectile motion by reducing the surface area of the object, increasing its speed, or changing its shape to make it more aerodynamic. Additionally, launching the object at a steeper angle can also help minimize the effects of air resistance.

Back