Projectile Motion: Finding Time to Change Angle from 31° to 21°

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the time required for a javelin thrown at a speed of 23 m/s and an angle of 31° to decrease its angle to 21°. The solution involves finding the horizontal and vertical velocities at both angles and using the tangent function to calculate the time. However, due to the limitations of the textbook, it is unclear if the given answer is correct or if there is an error in the problem. Further clarification may be needed.
randomguy123

Homework Statement

In the javelin throw at a track-and-field event, the javelin is launched at a speed of 23 m/s at an angle of 31° above the horizontal. As the javelin travels upward, its velocity points above the horizontal at an angle that decreases as time passes. How much time is required for the angle to be reduced from 31° at launch to 21°?

Homework Equations

velocity & time:
v = v0 + a * t

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the horizontal and vertical velocities when the angle is 31°:

Vx1 = cos(31) * 23 = 19.7
Vy1 = sin(31) * 23 = 11.8

Then I found the horizontal and vertical velocities when the angle is 21°:

Vx2 = Vx1 = cos(31) * 23 = 19.7
Vy2 = Vy1 + (-9.8) * t

Lastly, in order to find t:

tan(21) = Vy2 / Vx2 = ( 11.8 - 9.8 * t ) / 19.7

t ~= .44 seconds

Apparently, this is not the right answer :cry:
Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
Your working looks fine to me... what is the stated answer? Perhaps there is an error in the textbook?

Unfortunately I'm using WebAssign and all it tells me is if the answer is correct or incorrect. :frown:

Related to Projectile Motion: Finding Time to Change Angle from 31° to 21°

1. What is a projectile velocity problem?

A projectile velocity problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the velocity of an object that is launched or thrown through the air, such as a ball or a bullet.

2. How do you calculate projectile velocity?

To calculate projectile velocity, you need to know the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and the acceleration due to gravity. You can then use the equations of motion to calculate the final velocity of the object.

3. What are the units of projectile velocity?

The units of projectile velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) in the metric system or feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

4. What factors affect projectile velocity?

The factors that affect projectile velocity include the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as the shape and weight of the object can also have an impact.

5. How is projectile velocity used in real life?

Projectile velocity is used in many real-life applications, such as in sports like baseball and basketball, where players need to calculate the velocity of a ball to make a successful shot. It is also used in engineering and military applications to determine the trajectory and impact of projectiles.