Projectile Motion football kicker

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a football kicker trying to score a field goal from a distance of 47 m and with a crossbar 2.69 m high. Through the use of various equations, the participants are able to determine the smallest and largest angles of elevation at which the kicker can kick the ball and still score a field goal. The conversation also highlights the importance of visualizing and understanding the problem before attempting to manipulate equations.
Dante Tufano
1. A football kicker can give the ball an initial speed of 26 m/s. He is 47 m from the goalpost which has a crossbar 2.69 m high.
(a) What is the smallest angle of elevation that he can kick the football and score a field goal?

(b) What is the largest angle of elevation that he can kick the football and score a field goal?

2. x-xo=(vocos(theta))t
y-yo = (v0sin(theta))t-(1/2)gt^2
vy=vosin(theta)-gt
vy^2=(vosin(theta))^2-2g(delta y)
delta y = (tan(theta))(delta x) -(g(delta x)^2)/(2*(vocos(theta))^2)
v^2=v0^2-2g(y-y0)

3. I honestly have no idea how to solve this. I tried to plug my values into the equation v^2=v0^2-2g(y-y0) to get some idea of what the velocity at the goal would be, but I'm not even sure if I need that information or what to do afterwards. Please help give me some direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
A drawing could give you hints... The ball has to cover the distance of 47 m, and when x=47 m it should fly lower then the crossbar.

One more hint: To solve the equation for theta, you can use that cos^(theta) = 1/(1+tan^2(theta))

So.. could I use the Pythagorean theorem to figure out the angle? I'm still not quite sure how to discern the largest possible angle from the smallest.

delta y = (tan(theta))(delta x) -(g(delta x)^2)/(2*(vocos(theta))^2)

I will rewrite the above equation as

y = x*tanθ - 1/2*g*x^2/vo^2*cos^2(θ)
y = x*tanθ - 1/2*g*x^2*sec^2(θ)/vo^2
y = x*tanθ - 1/2*g*x^2*[1+tan^2(θ)]/vo^2
Substitute the values and solve the quadratic.
One value will be a smaller angle and the other value will be a larger angle.

Awesome, I plugged in the values and got angles of 67.9 degrees and 25.4 degrees, which are correct! Thanks a ton guys, much appreciated. Any advice on how to know which equation to manipulate?

First: Try to visualize the problem. Here: imagine you want to score a goal. (see my beautiful picture drawn specially for you :smile: For that, the ball has to go far away but not too high. Draw a figure to see what this mean, and how your drawing is related to the data given in the problem. From the picture, try to find out what part of Physics describes the situation. Here: it is projectile motion. Find the equations. You are given the horizontal and vertical distance, use the equation for y in terms of x and theta.

ehild

Attachments

• score.JPG
    score.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 854
Hahaa, lovely picture, I think I get it now. Thanks a ton!

Related to Projectile Motion football kicker

1. What is projectile motion in football kicking?

Projectile motion in football kicking refers to the curved path that the ball follows when it is kicked into the air. This path is due to a combination of the initial velocity of the ball and the force of gravity pulling the ball downward.

2. How does the angle of the kick affect the distance and accuracy of the ball?

The angle of the kick can greatly affect the distance and accuracy of the ball. A lower angle kick will result in a shorter distance but higher accuracy, while a higher angle kick will result in a longer distance but lower accuracy. This is because the angle of the kick determines the initial velocity and trajectory of the ball.

3. What factors influence the height and speed of the ball during a kick?

The height and speed of the ball during a kick are influenced by several factors, such as the initial velocity of the ball, the angle of the kick, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance, wind, and surface friction can also affect the ball's height and speed.

4. How can a football player adjust their kick to achieve a desired trajectory?

A football player can adjust their kick to achieve a desired trajectory by changing the angle and force of their kick. A lower angle kick with more force will result in a higher trajectory, while a higher angle kick with less force will result in a lower trajectory. Practice and experience are also essential in achieving a desired trajectory.

5. What role does air resistance play in projectile motion for a football kicker?

Air resistance plays a significant role in projectile motion for a football kicker. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences air resistance, which slows down its velocity and affects its trajectory. The amount of air resistance depends on the size and shape of the ball, as well as the density of the air and the speed of the ball.

Back