Projectile Motion Help: Find Maximum Height, Time of Flight & Horizontal Range

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help on projectile motion questions. The student is stuck on a question involving a cannon set at an angle of 45 degrees with a speed of 220 m/s. The student has found the maximum height to be 1240m, but is unsure about finding the time of flight and horizontal range. The expert explains the reasoning behind setting Vy=0 at the peak of motion and suggests using the equations for distance vs time and velocity components to solve for the time of flight and horizontal range.
F.B
I need help on projectile motion questions because i had to miss a whole lesson for some reason and my teacher said to try some of the questions.
Anyways I am stuck on this question.

A cannon is set at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal. A cannon ball leaves the muzzle with a speed of 220 m/s. Air resistance is negligible. Determine the cannonball's
a) maximum height
b) time of flight
c) horizontal range (to the same vertical level)

This is what i did. I am not going to do step by step on the part i got.

Before these i started i found VIx which is 155.6 m/s and Viy is the same
a) At max height Vfy=0( i don't get why but i know that's how you do it)
2ad=Vi^2 + Vf^2
d= (155.6)^2/-2(-9.8)
d= 1240m

b)i have no idea how to get this one i hope you can help me.

c)i started but i couldn't finish. This is what i did

d=Vit + 1/2a(t^2)
1240=155.6t - 4.9t^2
4.9t^2 - 155.6t + 1240 = 0

I know i need to do the quadratic formula after this but i get a negative with the radical so i don't know what to do i think i made a mistake somewhere.

Can you please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
To understand why the vy=0 at the peak of motion you need to think about how gravity is effecting the motion. Gravity is always acting toward the earth, so as long as the projectile has a upward directed velocity (Vy>0 it will be slowed by gravity. Now consider what happens when it has been slowed by gravity to the point it has lost all of its upward motion. It will stop, so Vy=0, now it will begin to fall, so now Vy<0 . Can you figure out from this why Vy=0 is at the highest point?

For b, you need to think about what the velocity components are when the flight is finished.

For c, if you have an equation for distance vs time, the answer to b will be useful.

hotvette

Related to Projectile Motion Help: Find Maximum Height, Time of Flight & Horizontal Range

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time the projectile has been in motion.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of projection, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How do you find the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the equation R = (u²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, u is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the horizontal motion is constant and unaffected by gravity, while the vertical motion is affected by gravity, resulting in a curved path. The horizontal velocity remains the same throughout the motion, while the vertical velocity changes due to the effect of gravity.