Projectile Motion: How to Calculate Initial Velocity for a Golf Shot

• Thread starter smashbrohamme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discusses a golfer's desire to hit a golf ball a specific horizontal and vertical distance, and the subsequent calculations to determine the initial velocity needed to achieve this. The conversation also addresses potential difficulties in solving for the X component of the initial velocity.
smashbrohamme
A golfer wants to hit the ball a horizontal distance of 130M and 20M above his tee-off point, but wants the ball to land 10 M below his tee-off point. What is the balls Initial velocity?

S= VoT+1/2AT²
V= Vo+AT
V²=Vo²+2AS

So far I have broken up the graph into 3 Parts...from Point A to Point B i have solved for the Y direction.
Ay= -9.81m/s²
Voy= 19.8m/s
Vx= 0
Sy= 20m
T= 2s

But I can't seem to start off in the X direction...do I go from Point A to C? B to C in the Y direction? I am really lost everytime I try to solve another direction from ethier point I have no information to create a solution.

btw the answer is Vo= 35.1 m/s angled at 34.4 so please just help me from understanding how to go from here.

Attachments

• Projectile problem.png
    Projectile problem.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
You must do things in this order: determine the Y component of initial velocity, determine the time for the ball to reach C, determine the X component of the initial velocity using the time.

What part of these three steps are you struggling with?

Related to Projectile Motion: How to Calculate Initial Velocity for a Golf Shot

What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, shot, or launched through the air and is subject to the force of gravity. Examples of projectiles include a baseball being thrown, a cannonball being fired, or a bullet being shot.

What factors affect the motion of a projectile?

The motion of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity acting on it. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the trajectory of a projectile.

How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

To calculate the trajectory of a projectile, you will need to use equations from projectile motion, which involve the initial velocity, launch angle, and time of flight. These equations can be solved using basic algebra or by using a computer program or calculator.

What is the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile occurs at the highest point of its trajectory, also known as the peak or apex. This height can be calculated using the launch angle, initial velocity, and the force of gravity.

What is the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before reaching the ground. It can be calculated using the initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. The range is greatest when the projectile is launched at a 45-degree angle.

Back