Projectile motion(kinematics in 2d) question

In summary, a skateboarder shoots off a ramp with a velocity of 5.1 m/s at an angle of 58° above the horizontal. The ramp is 1.4 m above the ground and the coordinate system is defined with the x-axis parallel to the ground and the +y direction vertically upward, with the origin at the point on the ground directly below the top of the ramp. The questions are: (a) How high above the ground is the highest point reached by the skateboarder? (b) At the highest point, how far horizontally is the skateboarder from the end of the ramp? The origin is 1.4 m below the top of the ramp.
fame718

Homework Statement

A skateboarder shoots off a ramp with a velocity of 5.1 m/s, directed at an angle of 58° above the horizontal. The end of the ramp is 1.4 m above the ground. Let the x-axis be parallel to the ground, the +y direction be vertically upward, and take as the origin the point on the ground directly below the top of the ramp.
(a) How high above the ground is the highest point that the skateboarder reaches?
(b) When the skateboarder reaches the highest point, how far is this point horizontally from the end of the ramp?

Before I even start doing the problem, I would have to know how the figure looks like so that I can draw it out on my paper, but I'm having troubles. I don't understand the part "take as the origin the point on the ground directly below the top of the ramp".
Does it mean that the top(highest point) of the ramp is exactly at the origin? or does it mean that ground is 1.4m below the origin? Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that the end of the ramp is vertically 1.4 m above the origin, so the skateboarder's initial vertical position y0 is 1.4 m.

Related to Projectile motion(kinematics in 2d) question

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is thrown or launched into the air and follows a curved path under the influence of gravity.

What are the key components of projectile motion?

The key components of projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the formula for calculating the horizontal distance of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the horizontal distance of a projectile is x = v0 * t * cos(theta), where v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and theta is the angle of launch.

What is the formula for calculating the maximum height of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the maximum height of a projectile is y = v0^2 * sin^2(theta) / 2g, where v0 is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This effect is more significant for objects with larger surface areas and lower velocities.