Projectile Motion Lab: Solving for Velocity and Distance with a Ramp and Ball

In summary, the conversation is about a lab on projectile motion where a ball is rolled off a ramp and the goal is to calculate the distance it travels. The equation v=sqrt(2gh) is suggested to find the velocity of the ball, which is needed to solve the lab. There are questions about the validity of this equation for different masses of balls.
AznBoi
We are doing a Lab on Projectile motion:
http://online.cctt.org/physicslab/content/Phy1/labs/energy/Bullseye.asp

It is where you take a ball and roll it off a ramp, off the table. Then you would need to estimate the precise landing spot on the ground.

Directions: You are given the height of the table, but not the distance or the velocity of the ball rolling down. What you need to find is the distance (displacement of the ball from the table to the ground).

I have looked over many problems like this and I have solved examples many times and were correct. However, how do you find the velocity of the ball? My teacher said you don't really need the velocity to calcuate the distance but how??

Is this how you calculate the horizontal velocity of the ball coming down a ramp?

PEtop = KEbase
mgh = ½mv^2
2mgh = mv^2
square root( 2gh) = v

So would the velocity equal the sqr root(2(-9.8m/s^2)(h))?
Does the average horizontal velocity always equal that no matter how big the mass of the ball/marble is?? Please explain. Thanks.

After I know the velocity, I will be able to solve the lab, I just need to know if that equation is correct or not, and why. We haven't gone over PE and KE stuff.. Thanks a lot! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, you have the right equations

by the way, the h (height) is suppose to be the height of the RAMP not the height of the table. Is this equation correct for finding the velocity of any ball/sphere/marble rolling off the ramp??

I just need to find the velocity of the ball rolling down the ramp. I don't know if the equation is valid or not for it. I mean does it apply to all balls no matter what their mass is? If you look on the lab website, it says that the masses cancel out and therefor remain with: v= sqr. rt. (2gh)

Does anyone know if this equation is good for any ball with any kind of mass? If you need to see the lab, it is on the top of the page.

ok thanks, but I need more confirmations.. Anyone else??

Related to Projectile Motion Lab: Solving for Velocity and Distance with a Ramp and Ball

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

2. How is projectile motion calculated?

The motion of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time.

3. What variables affect projectile motion?

The variables that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of projection, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This is more significant for objects with larger surface areas, such as feathers or parachutes.

5. What is the purpose of a projectile motion lab?

The purpose of a projectile motion lab is to observe and analyze the motion of a projectile in order to understand the principles of motion and gravity. It also allows for the calculation and verification of theoretical concepts.