Projectile Motion marble Problem

In summary, the problem involves a marble rolling off a table with a velocity of 1.93 m/s and a tabletop that is 76.5 cm above the floor. The velocity at impact is asked to be determined, assuming negligible air resistance. Using the kinematics equation vf(t) = v0 + at, the y component of the velocity vector can be found, and the horizontal velocity stays the same. After plugging in the numbers, the answer is found to be 4.33 m/s at 63.5 degrees below the horizontal.
LoveandHate

Homework Statement

A marble rolls off a table with a velocity of 1.93 m/s [horiz]. The tabletop is 76.5 cm above the floor. If air resistance is negligible, determine the velocity at impact.
-[tex]\Delta[/tex]t has been found in a previous question; =0.395 s
-I know the answer is 4.33 m/s [63.5 degrees below the horizontal]

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]d=-.5a([tex]\Delta[/tex]t)2-v2([tex]\Delta[/tex]t)

The Attempt at a Solution

0.765 = -.5(9.8)(.395)+v2(.395)
but I get velocity to equal 1. something m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to exclusively use kinematics, or do you just want the answer? If you just want the answer, I say go the easy route: energy. I've said this before on this forum already.

Be sure to only consider the y-axis energy.

i have to do it the kinematics way..
don't confuse me with the energy just yet! haha.

Using kinematics makes it more confusing actually. =)

But to answer your question, if you know the time it takes to fall, and you know what acceleration it goes through, it's a simple matter of [tex]v_f(t) = v_0 + a t[/tex]. Plug in initial velocity in y direction and time, then you have the y component of the velocity vector. Air resistance is nonexistent, so the horizontal velocity stays the same. Take the magnitude of this vector.

I plugged in the numbers myself (using WolframAlpha!) and got the right answer.

LoveandHate said:

The Attempt at a Solution

0.765 = -.5(9.8)(.395)+v2(.395)
but I get velocity to equal 1. something m/s?
V2 is not final velocity, it's initial velocity and in the y direction it is equal to?

Related to Projectile Motion marble Problem

1. What is projectile motion and how does it apply to the marble problem?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object in the air that is influenced only by the force of gravity. In the marble problem, the marble is launched into the air and its motion is affected by the force of gravity as it falls back to the ground.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of the marble in the projectile motion marble problem?

The trajectory of the marble is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Air resistance may also have a small effect on the trajectory.

3. How do you calculate the range of the marble in the projectile motion marble problem?

The range of the marble can be calculated using the formula R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the maximum height reached by the marble in the projectile motion marble problem?

The maximum height reached by the marble can be calculated using the formula H = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where H is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of the marble in the projectile motion marble problem?

Air resistance can slightly alter the trajectory of the marble by slowing it down as it moves through the air. This can result in a shorter range and lower maximum height compared to a theoretical calculation without air resistance.