Projectile Motion of a Baseball Problem

In summary, a baseball is hit at ground level and reaches its maximum height of Ymax after 3.5 seconds. After 3.0 seconds from reaching its maximum height, it barely clears a fence that is 95.8 m from where it was hit. Using the equations provided, the maximum height above ground level reached by the ball can be found by taking Voy^2/2g. The height of the fence can be found by using V^2=Voy^2+2gDeltaY. To find the distance beyond the fence where the ball strikes the ground, you can use the symmetry of the figure to determine the total time of travel.
mcg5132
A baseball is hit at ground level. The ball reaches its maximum height above ground level 3.5 s after being hit. Then 3.0 s after reaching its maximum height, the ball barely clears a fence that is 95.8 m from where it was hit. Assume the ground is level. What maximum height above ground level is reached by the ball? How high is the fence? How far beyond the fence does the ball strike the ground?

2. X-Xo=(Vocosx0)t
Y-Yo=V0yt-1/2gt^2
V^2y=(Vosinxo)^2-2g(Y-Yo)

Physics news on Phys.org
where is your attempt to solve the question?

No idea where to even begin. None of my numbers are making any sense when I use these equations.

First, have a look at the figure I made:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8106/14819284.jpg

for the first part .. it is asking for ymax , let's think at ymax what happens to the final velocity? you are given yo=0 and t at max. height =3.5s .. can you go from there?

for the second part .. you are asked to find the height of the fence .. from the figure you can note that this height is the same height if you are aked to find y after 3s ..

for the third part .. you can notice from the figure that if you found the range of the travel (max. x the ball travels) then finding the difference between it and 95.8m , this way you find x .. but when it hits the ground what can you say about y??

I believe I gave you enough hints , please work or atleast try as much as you can and then show your detailed solution so if you got stuck we can help .. REMEMBER : members don't do your homework they just help :) ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I found Ymax by taking my Voy^2/2g. I then found the fences height by V^2=Voy^2+2gDeltaY. I am however, stuck on the last part, I know that Delta X is going to be the total distance minus the distance given in the problem of 95.8m. But in order to find total distance I need t total but when I calculate ttotal=Vfy-Voy/Ay I get an answer of 3.5s which would mean the ball didn't make it to the fence which is incorrect?

looking at the figure you can notice that there is some kind of symmetry, it should be obvious that when it reaches ymax. At t=3.5s it covers half of the distance of travel .. So from there can you find what should be the total time of the travel ??

FAQ: Projectile Motion of a Baseball Problem

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air at a constant velocity, subject to the force of gravity.

2. How does the motion of a baseball follow the laws of physics?

The motion of a baseball follows the laws of physics, specifically the laws of motion and gravity. These laws dictate that an object in motion will continue in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force, and that all objects are subject to the force of gravity, causing them to accelerate towards the ground.

3. How do you calculate the trajectory of a baseball?

The trajectory of a baseball can be calculated using the equations of projectile motion, taking into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. The trajectory can also be predicted using computer simulations and mathematical models.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a baseball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the motion of a baseball by slowing it down and altering its trajectory. This is due to the friction between the ball and the air molecules, which increases with the speed and surface area of the ball. However, for a baseball thrown at typical speeds, air resistance is relatively negligible.

5. How is the motion of a baseball different from other projectiles?

The motion of a baseball is different from other projectiles because it is affected by the spin of the ball. This spin creates a force called the Magnus effect, which can cause the ball to curve in its trajectory. This effect is commonly seen in pitches thrown by baseball pitchers, such as a curveball or a slider.