Projectile Motion of a Shot Problem

In summary, a projectile is shot from the edge of a cliff 115 above ground level with an initial speed of 65.0 at an angle of 35.0 with the horizontal, and the horizontal and the vertical components of its velocity are 60.36 and 37.3 m/s, respectively.
hanlon

Homework Statement

A projectile is shot from the edge of a cliff 115 above ground level with an initial speed of 65.0 at an angle of 35.0 with the horizontal, as shown in the figure .

At the instant just before the projectile hits point P, determine the horizontal and the vertical components of its velocity.
Enter your answers numerically separated by a comma.
GIANCOLI.ch03.p046.jpg

Homework Equations

basic kinematic equations [a= constant]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was pretty basic, I thought it was correct, and even asked my brother whos a physics tutor for help and he got the same answer, though the MasteringPhysics site which my class is using says its wrong

the horizontal x direction I got the same speed as it is when shot from the start so it doesn't change

65m/s*cos(35o) = 53.2 m/s in the horizontal direction

for the vertical I used the equation

v = vo + at

where vo = 65m/s*sin(35o) = 37.3 m/s
a = 9.8 m/s2
t = 2.4 s

"t" I found in a different part of the question.

so "v" = 60.36 m/s

though the site says its wrong (masteringphysics)

Thanks.

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the formula V = (U^2 + 2gh)^1/2
to find the final velocity

I don't think I've seen that formula before, where you get it? and U is velocity initial right?

also its still equals 60.38, which I already used as a former answer, does that mean my horizontal answer is wrong or the teacher who posted this question online is wrong?

hmm.. It looks like your teacher may have made a mistake then.
what was his answer?

and yes "U" is initial Velocity

there is no answer, its a site called mastering physics, he posts questions and we input an answer if its right we get credit if wrong we lose.

hanlon said:
there is no answer, its a site called mastering physics, he posts questions and we input an answer if its right we get credit if wrong we lose.

Can you show your calculation of t?
I am using the formula

-115 = 37.3(t) - 0.5*9.8(t)^2.

Solve the quadratic to find t.

115 = 0 + (3.73m/s)*t + 4.9t2

since velocity and acceleration are moving in the same direction at this point

then using the quadratic equation

-37.3 (+/-)sqr(37.32 - 4(4.9)(-115))/ 2*4.9

which ended up 2.355102041 and some other number I didn't record.

115 = 0 + (3.73m/s)*t + 4.9t^2

The displacement and the acceleration are in the same direction.

But the velocity is in the opposite direction to acceleration. So the equation should be

115 = 0 - (3.73m/s)*t + 4.9t2

ah, I got a email back from my teacher

since its going downwards the velocity component is negative. woops

Related to Projectile Motion of a Shot Problem

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. What is a shot problem in projectile motion?

A shot problem in projectile motion refers to a specific scenario where an object is launched or thrown at an initial velocity and angle, and the goal is to determine its trajectory and other related variables.

3. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and gravity.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can you explain the relationship between the launch angle and the height of a projectile?

As the launch angle increases, the height of the projectile also increases. At a launch angle of 90 degrees, the object will reach its maximum height before falling back down. At a launch angle of 0 degrees, the object will have no vertical component of motion and will travel in a straight line horizontally.