Projectile motion of car hitting the ground

In summary, the angle of the velocity is 11.53 degrees and the x and y velocity components are 41.67 and 8.3 meters/second, respectively.
Abdeln

Homework Statement

(Assume no friction) A car that has a mass of 3970 kg is accelerated from an initial velocity of 0 up a ramp that is 50 meters long (the hypotenuse) and has a height above the ground at the end of the ramp of 10 meters. The velocity of the car at the end of the ramp is 150 km/hr. At the end of the ramp the car flies through the air as a projectile. What is the angle of the ramp in degrees? If the car starts up the ramp at time equal to 0 seconds, how many seconds later does the car hit the ground.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to solve for the initial velocities in the x and y direction but I honestly have no idea where to start in this problem--if anyone could just tell me a starting point--it'd be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle of the velocity is the angle of the ramp. Which you should determine from the sides given. Recall how the sine is defined.

I found the angle to be 11.53 degrees, what can I do from there?

How can you find x and y velocity ccomponents given the sine of the angle and the magnitude of the velocity?

I don't know. I was never taught that--he gave us a problem set and gave us 2 days to solve it.

If you knew the x and components of the initial velocity, would you be able to solve the problem?

I believe so, yes

Very well. If some velocity has components Vx and Vy, what is the magnitude of the velocity?

Wouldn't it be the SQRT(Vx^2+Vy^2) ? Using Pythagorean theorem?

That is correct. The components-magnitude stuff works like sides in a right triangle. So how can you get the components if you know the magnitude ( = hypotenuse) and the angle?

Oh, just you trigonometric functions and you get the y direction to be 10, and the x direction to be 49?

These are the sides of the ramp. You need to find the "sides" of velocity.

knowing that the magnitude of velocity is 150 km/hour?

Yes.

ok i changed the magnitude to m/sec to make it easier so it'd be 41.67 m/sec, that'd mean that the x direction it would equal 40.8 m/sec and the y direction would equal 8.3 m/sec. right?

Correct.

Would I now plug everything I have into the projectile motion equations?

Well, you said that given Vx and Vy you should be able to solve the problem. What is difficulty now?

I was unsure--I managed to solve it.

Good job!

Related to Projectile motion of car hitting the ground

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown and then moves through the air under the force of gravity.

2. How does the motion of a car hitting the ground differ from other forms of projectile motion?

The motion of a car hitting the ground is a combination of linear motion (the car moving forward) and vertical motion (the car falling due to gravity). This makes it a two-dimensional projectile motion.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a car when it hits the ground?

The trajectory of a car when it hits the ground is affected by its initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and surface friction may also play a role.

4. How can we calculate the distance a car will travel when it hits the ground?

Using the equations of motion and the known factors such as initial velocity and launch angle, we can calculate the distance a car will travel when it hits the ground. However, in real-life situations, external factors such as air resistance and surface friction may affect the actual distance traveled.

5. What safety measures can be taken to minimize the impact of a car hitting the ground?

To minimize the impact of a car hitting the ground, safety features such as airbags, seatbelts, and crumple zones are designed to absorb the force of the impact and protect the passengers. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular inspection of the car's braking and suspension systems can also help prevent accidents that may lead to a car hitting the ground.