Projectile Motion pitching speed

In summary, the baseball player friend's pitching speed has a range of +/-5° horizontally and +/-5° vertically.
charan1

Homework Statement

A baseball player friend of yours wants to determine his pitching speed. You have him stand on a ledge and throw the ball horizontally from an elevation 4.00 m above the ground. The ball lands 30.0 m away.

Part A:
What is his pitching speed?

Part B:
As you think about it, you’re not sure he threw the ball exactly horizontally. As you watch him throw, the pitches seem to vary from 5° below horizontal to 5° above horizontal. What is the range of speeds with which the ball might have left his hand? Enter the minimum and the maximum speed of the ball.

Homework Equations

Sf=Si+Vis*T+.5aT^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For Part A I did the following:

Yf=Yi+Viy*T+(.5)(g)T^2

0m=4m+(0m/s)(T)+(.5)(-9.8m/s^2)(T^2)
T=.9035

Xf=Xi+Vix*T+(.5)aT^2

30m=0m+Vix(.9035 seconds)+(.5)(0m/s^2)(.9035^2)
Vix=33.204m/s

Part B:

I could only think to do the following...

cos(5)=33.2/h

h=33.3268...

I don't really know what else I can do...Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
charan1 said:

Homework Statement

A baseball player friend of yours wants to determine his pitching speed. You have him stand on a ledge and throw the ball horizontally from an elevation 4.00 m above the ground. The ball lands 30.0 m away.

Part A:
What is his pitching speed?

Part B:
As you think about it, you’re not sure he threw the ball exactly horizontally. As you watch him throw, the pitches seem to vary from 5° below horizontal to 5° above horizontal. What is the range of speeds with which the ball might have left his hand? Enter the minimum and the maximum speed of the ball.

Homework Equations

Sf=Si+Vis*T+.5aT^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For Part A I did the following:

Yf=Yi+Viy*T+(.5)(g)T^2

0m=4m+(0m/s)(T)+(.5)(-9.8m/s^2)(T^2)
T=.9035

Xf=Xi+Vix*T+(.5)aT^2

30m=0m+Vix(.9035 seconds)+(.5)(0m/s^2)(.9035^2)
Vix=33.204m/s

Part B:

I could only think to do the following...

cos(5)=33.2/h

h=33.3268...

I don't really know what else I can do...Please help

You need to remember the motion takes place in two dimensions. In the horizontal direction x = x_0 + v_xo*t. In the vertical direction
y = y_0 + v_yo*t + .5*a*t^2.

I don't follow. My part A is already correct.

Your part A is correct.
For part B, the horizontal component of velocity will be
vix= vo*cos(theta) and vertical component of viy will be vo*sin(theta)
While calculating t, if the ball is projected up, take g -ve. And if the ball is projected down take g +ve.

Related to Projectile Motion pitching speed

1. What is projectile motion pitching speed?

Projectile motion pitching speed refers to the speed at which a baseball or softball is thrown by a pitcher. It is the initial velocity of the ball when it is released from the pitcher's hand.

2. How is projectile motion pitching speed measured?

Projectile motion pitching speed is typically measured in miles per hour (mph) using a radar gun. The radar gun uses the Doppler effect to measure the speed of the ball as it travels towards the plate.

3. What factors affect projectile motion pitching speed?

The speed of a pitch is affected by the strength and technique of the pitcher, as well as the weight and aerodynamics of the ball. Other factors such as air resistance, temperature, and altitude can also influence pitching speed.

4. Is there an optimal pitching speed for maximum effectiveness?

Yes, there is an optimal pitching speed for maximum effectiveness. In general, faster pitches are more difficult for batters to hit, but too much speed can make it difficult for a pitcher to control the ball. The optimal speed for a pitch depends on the individual pitcher's abilities and the type of pitch being thrown.

5. Can a pitcher increase their projectile motion pitching speed?

Yes, a pitcher can increase their projectile motion pitching speed through training and practice. This includes improving strength and technique, as well as using specialized training equipment and drills designed to increase pitching speed.