Projectile Motion Problem: Determining Height Using Equations

In summary, the given scenario involves an insect resting above the water level on a leaf, a horizontal distance of 0.600 m from a fish that shoots water into the air above the surface of the water at a 60 degree angle with an initial velocity of 3.01 m/s. Using the equations v = vi + at, v = d/t, and x = vi(t) + 0.5a(t^2), the time it takes for the water to travel in the horizontal direction is calculated to be 0.398 s. The vertical distance of the water at 0.398 s is then calculated to be 0.259 m. However, the error in the final answer is due to rounding at
jumbogala

Homework Statement

An insect is resting above the water level on a leaf, a horizontal 0.600 m away from a fish. The fish shoots water into the air above the surface of the water at a 60 degree angle, with an initial velocity of 3.01 m/s.

Assume the fish shoots the water into the air at water level, and that the water hits the insect.

At what height is the leaf above water level?

Homework Equations

v = vi + at
v= d/t
x = vi(t) + 0.5a(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to find out how much time it would take the water to travel in the horizontal direction.

Initial velocity in horizontal direction: cos60*3.01= 1.505 m/s
With zero acceleration, the time it would take to travel 0.600 m would be:
t=0.600/1.505=0.398 s

Then, I tried to figure out where the water would be at 0.398 seconds vertically.
Its initial velocity is sin60*3.01 = 2.60 m/s
2.60(0.398)+(0.5)(-9.81)(0.398^2)= 0.259 m

I must be doing something wrong because the program says I have the wrong answer. I have no idea where the problem is, though... any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have rounded at the intermediate steps, which has induced errors in your final answer. Try to use the exact values of the intermediate steps by either storing them in your calculator, or writing down the full calculator display.

Thanks, I think that solves the problem.

FAQ: Projectile Motion Problem: Determining Height Using Equations

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and air resistance. These factors determine the shape and distance of the object's trajectory.

3. How is the velocity of a projectile calculated?

The velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion refers to the motion of an object moving parallel to the ground, while vertical projectile motion refers to the motion of an object moving perpendicular to the ground. Both types of motion are affected by the same factors, but the equations used to calculate them are different.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and changing its direction. The amount of air resistance depends on the speed and surface area of the object, and can be calculated using various equations.

Back