Projectile motion questiondon't understand about angles and vectors

In summary, the problem involves a rescue plane dropping supplies to isolated mountain climbers on a rocky ridge 235m below. The plane is traveling horizontally at a speed of 69.4m/s. The question asks for the vertical velocity needed for the supplies to reach the climbers' position if dropped 425m in advance. Two different methods are attempted, with the second method yielding an answer of 8.41m/s. The question is raised about the angle of the throw and whether it affects the vertical or horizontal velocity, but it is clarified that the question only provides information on the vertical velocity.
hamsterpower7

Homework Statement

Giancoli 5th edition chapter 3 problem 38

a rescue plane wants to drop supplies to isolated mountain climbers on a rocky ridge 235m below
the plane is traveling horizontally with a speed of 69.4m/s
b) supposes, instead that the plane releases the supplies a horizontal distance of 425m in advance of the moutain climbers. What vertical velocity should the supplies be given so that they arrive precisely at the climbers position?

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted it several times using two different method
the second time was using

[tex] X = V_0 t [/tex]
t= 6.12s

so then
[tex] y =y_0 + V_0t + 1/2 a_y (t^2) [/tex]

answer was 8.41m/s

but then my question is that
for my first attempt at this question
I try to figure out the angle if they threw it upward or downward
but why does that angle not matter for the vertical or horizontal velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
O DUDE
I reread the question and it said it only gave vertical velocity
thats why
okay no need for help now
thx

Related to Projectile motion questiondon't understand about angles and vectors

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is projectile motion affected by angles?

The angle at which a projectile is launched affects its range and height. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, while the optimal angle for maximum height is 90 degrees.

3. What are vectors and how do they relate to projectile motion?

Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In projectile motion, the velocity and acceleration of the object are represented by vectors.

4. How can I calculate the range of a projectile?

To calculate the range of a projectile, you can use the formula: R = (V²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What factors can affect the motion of a projectile?

The motion of a projectile can be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind, and the shape and mass of the object. These factors can change the trajectory and speed of the projectile.