Projectile on Inclined Plane: Finding Angle of Inclination

In summary, the projectile is thrown from a point A on an inclined plane field of unknown slope α. The angle between the initial velocity and the field is θ. The magnitude of the velocity is V. The acceleration of gravity is g. The slant range of the projectile is R. α is in terms of θ, V, g, and R.
jal3ous

Homework Statement

A projectile is thrown from a point A on an inclined plane field of unknown slope α, and hits the field on a point B. We know the angle between the initial velocity and the field: θ. We know the magnitude of the velocity: V. We know the the acceleration of gravity: g. We know the slant range of the projectile (distance between A and B): R. We have no friction.

Calculate α in terms of θ,V,g, and R.

I worked on this problem and I always get a complex 4th degree polynomial equation or a trigonometric equation that I can't figure out how to solve.

Homework Equations

V sin(alpha + theta)t = R sin(alpha)
V cos (alpha+theta)t + (1/2)gt^2 = R cos(alpha)

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider alpha the angle between the gravity vector and the field. Consider a 2D reference frame (X,Y) that contains the trajectory and let Y be vertical and opposite to g and X be horizontal and such that the trajectory is in X > 0. if we decompose the equation of motion along X we get: V sin(alpha + theta)t = R sin(alpha). along Y we get: V cos (alpha+theta)t + (1/2)gt^2 = R cos(alpha). if we divide the second equation by the first we get a trigonometric equation with cot(alpha+theta), sin(alpha+theta), and cot(alpha). I couldn't go any further from here

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jal, welcome (a bit belated) to PF :smile: !

You have made an unconventional choice for ##\alpha## ! Usually we say ##\alpha = 0## means horizontal. For you it's straight down. Never mind.

##\theta=0## means parallel with the plane and I can't find a flaw in your story. Dividing 2nd by 1st still leaves a t which you eliminate with the first eqn. Leaving not only the ones you mention, but another ##\sin\alpha## as well.

It is a single equation with a single unknown. I don't see a reasonable straightforward way towards an expression like ##\alpha = ...## (with no ##\alpha## on the RHS). I would solve it numerically.

And I do wonder if just this single equation (with ##\alpha## on both sides) isn't enough answer for the composer of the exercise.

Funny how such a simple situation can be made so complicated. After all, it's just a parabola passing to a suitable origin (point A) with an equation like y = P x ( x - Q) . Two degrees of freedom, three givens, so room for pinning down ##\alpha##.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we follow Tuesdays advice by @A.T. from post #2 in this thread (which is a duplicate of the current thread -- PF frowns on that ?:) ! ) and decouple ##\theta## and ##\alpha## at the (small) cost of having uniformly accelerated motion in two directions instead of one:

We say (going back to the more conventional ##\alpha = 0## and ##\theta = 0## when horizontal and I also like g = +9.81 m/s2, sorry) $$
x = v_0\cos\theta\; t - {\tfrac 1 2} g \sin\alpha\; t^2 \\
y = v_0\sin\theta\; t - {\tfrac 1 2} g \cos\alpha\; t^2 \\
$$and know that ##y=0## at ##t=0## and at $$
t={2v_o\sin\theta\over g \cos\alpha}
$$You get somewhat cleaner equations, easier to type in :smile: when solving with e.g. excel :

Parabola.jpg

But I don't get much further than an equation like ##P\sin\alpha - Q\cos\alpha = C \cos^2\alpha## (with P, Q and C known) which for me is too difficult :smile:

Last edited:
Thank you BvU for your reply!
Not a complete solution but very useful :)
I'll keep trying based on what u propose and see if I can get any further...

Related to Projectile on Inclined Plane: Finding Angle of Inclination

1. What is a projectile on an incline?

A projectile on an incline is an object that is launched at an angle from a horizontal surface, and then follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the projectile's motion?

The angle of the incline affects the vertical and horizontal components of the projectile's motion. A steeper incline will result in a shorter horizontal distance traveled and a longer vertical distance, while a shallower incline will result in a longer horizontal distance and a shorter vertical distance.

3. What is the equation for calculating the range of a projectile on an incline?

The equation for calculating the range of a projectile on an incline is R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the mass of the projectile affect its motion on an incline?

The mass of the projectile does not affect its motion on an incline. The only factors that affect the projectile's motion are its initial velocity, launch angle, and the incline's angle.

5. What is the difference between a projectile on a flat surface and a projectile on an incline?

A projectile on a flat surface follows a parabolic path, while a projectile on an incline follows a curved path that is a combination of a parabola and a straight line. Additionally, the angle of the incline affects the projectile's motion differently than on a flat surface.