Projectile problem: throwing something off a tower

Just multiply.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the vertical and horizontal velocities of a water balloon being thrown at a 30 degree angle from a building, with an initial velocity of 3 m/s and a distance of 50 m from the ground. The person has also identified four points (A, B, C, and D) on the projectile and is asking for help in determining the range and velocity angle. The conversation also includes a link to a visual representation of the projectile.
sunshine1228

Homework Statement

Tossing a water balloon from a building at an angle of 30 degrees. Inital velocity is 3 m/s and the window which the balloon is thrown is 50 m from the ground.
for vertical velocity i got 2.6m/s, horizontal i got 1.5 m/s

There are 4 pts. A is the starting point. B is the middle of the projectile. C is where it is decreasing but also same horizontally as A. D is the very bottom of the projectile.

I.e. of how picture looks : http://tinypic.com/r/17srp0/6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i figured out the times:
A 0 sec
B .27 sec
C .42 sec
D 2.16 sec

Now how do i get the range? and velocity angle? please help, are the values i got above correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sunshine, welcome to PF.
Show how you got those times, please. I do not understand where the points B and C are. What is "middle of projectile"? And what is same horizontally as A?

ehild

sunshine1228 said:
Now how do i get the range?

You know the horizontal velocity and the flight time.

Related to Projectile problem: throwing something off a tower

What is a projectile problem?

A projectile problem involves calculating the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air. This type of problem typically involves determining the object's initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity on its trajectory.

What is the formula for calculating the trajectory of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the trajectory of a projectile is:
y = y0 + x tanθ - (gx2)/(2v02cos2θ)
where y is the vertical position at any given time, y0 is the initial vertical position, x is the horizontal position, θ is the angle of launch, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and v0 is the initial velocity.

What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity. Air resistance and wind can also play a role in altering the trajectory of a projectile.

How can a projectile problem be solved?

A projectile problem can be solved by breaking it down into smaller components and applying the appropriate formulas. First, the initial velocity and angle of launch must be determined. Then, the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity can be calculated. Finally, the equations of motion can be used to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile over time.

What is the purpose of solving a projectile problem?

The purpose of solving a projectile problem is to predict the motion of an object in order to understand its behavior and make accurate calculations. This can be useful in real-life scenarios such as launching a rocket or throwing a ball, as well as in various fields of science and engineering.

Back