Projectile Que HELP- Finding Launch Angles

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a firefighter is aiming a stream of water from a hose into a burning building. The window is 20.0 m above the nozzle and 60.0 m away. The hose produces a jet of water at a constant speed of 30.0 m/s and the firefighter can control the angle, θ, of the water by moving the nozzle. The question asks for the two angles at which the water can enter the window. Attempts at solving the problem involve using projectile motion equations, but result in a complicated equation with both cos^2(θ) and tan(θ). The solution is to multiply the equation by cos2θ and use trigonometric identities to rewrite it as a
lavenderbaby

Homework Statement

A fire fighter directs a stream of water from a fire hose into the window of a
burning building. The window is 20.0 m above the level of the nozzle and 60.0 m
away. The hose produces a jet of water at a constant nozzle speed of V0 = 30.0 m/s.
The fire fighter can control the angle θ that the water is aimed at by moving the
nozzle with her hands.

(a) The fire fighter discovers that there are exactly two angles θ that she can hold
the hose for which the water gets into the window. What are the two angles?

Homework Equations

Y1=Y0 + V0y(t) - g/2(t)^2
X1=X0 + V0x(t)
V0x = Vcos(θ)
V0y = Vsin(θ)
etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

Before getting into any calculations, I know that the angles are θ and (90-θ). That is, at these two angles, the firefighter will shoot the same height. Once I find out one angle, I will be able to get the other. But the problem is that I can't find even one θ.

First, I wrote down equations of projectile motion in the x-direction and in the y-direction. But I ended up getting a complicated equation involving both cos^2(θ) and tan(θ) that I can't solve. Then, I attempted the question in a different way. I tried to find the time it takes the water stream to reach the maximum height, and the time it takes the water stream to travel from the maximum height to the window. As you can see on the sheet, my equations involve both θ and t.

Is there a way that I can get rid of the t variable? Or what else should I do?

Please shed light! I've spent two hours writing over seven sheets w/ no result.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 448
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi lavenderbaby! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
lavenderbaby said:
… But I ended up getting a complicated equation involving both cos^2(θ) and tan(θ) that I can't solve. Then, I attempted the question in a different way. I tried to find the time it takes the water stream to reach the maximum height, and the time it takes the water stream to travel from the maximum height to the window. …

Yes, you got A/cos2θ + Btanθ + C = 0 …

just multiply it throughout by cos2θ,

then use standard trigonometric identities to write it as a combination of cos2θ and sin2θ,

then use another trigonometric identity to write that as cos(2θ + λ), for some λ. :wink:

(and no, finding the maximum height is never going to help)

Hi tiny-tim, thanks for your prompt reply! But in order to write it as a combo of cos and sin, do i need to rewrite the tan in terms of sin/cos first? I'm not really sure how that is going to give me a combo of sin and cos...any more hints?

tiny-tim said:
Hi lavenderbaby! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, you got A/cos2θ + Btanθ + C = 0 …

just multiply it throughout by cos2θ,

then use standard trigonometric identities to write it as a combination of cos2θ and sin2θ,

then use another trigonometric identity to write that as cos(2θ + λ), for some λ. :wink:

(and no, finding the maximum height is never going to help)

Not cosθ and sinθ, cos2θ and sin2θ.

cos2θtanθ = … ? :smile:

hi! I too require help.

I got as far as: 5+5cos(2[tex]\Theta[/tex]) = 15sin(2[tex]\Theta[/tex]) + a

I'm not sure how to solve this :/

FAQ: Projectile Que HELP- Finding Launch Angles

1. What is a "Projectile"?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or launched through the air, such as a ball or a rocket. It follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. How do you calculate the launch angle for a projectile?

The launch angle of a projectile can be calculated using the equation: θ = arctan(vy/vx), where θ is the launch angle, vy is the vertical velocity, and vx is the horizontal velocity.

3. What factors affect the optimal launch angle for a projectile?

The optimal launch angle for a projectile is affected by several factors, including air resistance, initial velocity, and the height of the launch point. These factors can be manipulated to achieve the desired trajectory of the projectile.

4. How does air resistance impact the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly alter the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and changing its direction. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape and size of the object, as well as its velocity.

5. Can you use the same launch angle for all projectiles?

No, the optimal launch angle for a projectile will vary depending on its initial velocity and the desired trajectory. A higher initial velocity will require a smaller launch angle, while a lower initial velocity will need a larger launch angle.

Back