Projectile trajectory problem with constraint

In summary: Will you be able to help me out with this one?I'm honestly just lost, and I think I'd understand better if I could look at the answer and work my way through.
jacksmith2296

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/RDMG4Pj
Link to drawn out problem^

The ball goes through the hoop NOT at the peak, but rather on it's downward path. It's asking for the total x-displacement, launch angle (theta), and the total flight time. It must me solved WITHOUT using the range formula. The landing point is also .25 meters up, so it lands at the same height it was launched from.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost without theta; thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jacksmith2296 said:

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/RDMG4Pj
Link to drawn out problem^

The ball goes through the hoop NOT at the peak, but rather on it's downward path. It's asking for the total x-displacement, launch angle (theta), and the total flight time. It must me solved WITHOUT using the range formula. The landing point is also .25 meters up, so it lands at the same height it was launched from.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost without theta; thanks for your help.
Why can't you write the regular projectile motion equations? That's where the range formula ultimately comes from.

You treat the launch angle as an unknown to start with, and then you analyze your equations to see if the end of the trajectory satisfies the conditions of going thru the hoop and landing 0.5 m down range at the indicated height. You can always treat this like a game of Battleship, where you guess values of the initial angle and see if the ball hits the target. A problem like this could easily be set up on a spread sheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
Why can't you write the regular projectile motion equations? That's where the range formula ultimately comes from.

You treat the launch angle as an unknown to start with, and then you analyze your equations to see if the end of the trajectory satisfies the conditions of going thru the hoop and landing 0.5 m down range at the indicated height. You can always treat this like a game of Battleship, where you guess values of the initial angle and see if the ball hits the target. A problem like this could easily be set up on a spread sheet.
Will you please work it out? I'm honestly just lost, and I think I'd understand better if I could look at the answer and work my way through.

jacksmith2296 said:
Will you please work it out? I'm honestly just lost, and I think I'd understand better if I could look at the answer and work my way through.
Sorry but that's not allowed by the forum rules. Helpers are not allowed to completely solve homework problems for other members.

They can provide hints and suggestions, or point out errors or where the chosen method has gone off-track, but they can't do your work for you.

Edit: Please note that I've changed the thread title so that helpers can better recognize the subject matter of the problem.

jacksmith2296 said:
Sorry, that's against the rules for the HW forums here at PF. You've got to show some effort at solving your own HW problems.

gneill said:
Sorry but that's not allowed by the forum rules. Helpers are not allowed to completely solve homework problems for other members.

They can provide hints and suggestions, or point out errors or where the chosen method has gone off-track, but they can't do your work for you.

Edit: Please note that I've changed the thread title so that helpers can better recognize the subject matter of the problem.
Sorry I really didn't know

FAQ: Projectile trajectory problem with constraint

1. What is a projectile trajectory problem with constraint?

A projectile trajectory problem with constraint is a physics problem that involves calculating the path of a projectile given certain limitations or constraints, such as a maximum height or distance.

2. How do you solve a projectile trajectory problem with constraint?

To solve a projectile trajectory problem with constraint, you can use the principles of projectile motion, such as the equations of motion and the laws of gravity, and apply them to the given constraints. This will help you determine the trajectory of the projectile.

3. What are some common constraints in projectile trajectory problems?

Some common constraints in projectile trajectory problems include limitations on the initial velocity, angle of launch, maximum height, and maximum distance traveled. Other constraints may also be present depending on the specific problem.

4. What is the importance of solving projectile trajectory problems with constraint?

Solving projectile trajectory problems with constraint is important as it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in real-world scenarios. It also allows us to make accurate calculations for a variety of applications, such as designing projectiles for sports or military purposes.

5. What are some tips for solving projectile trajectory problems with constraint?

Some tips for solving projectile trajectory problems with constraint include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using the correct equations and formulas, and carefully considering the given constraints. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label all known information before attempting to solve the problem.