Projectiles and the Kepler problem

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the initial velocity vector needed to send a projectile from one point to another within a gravitational field created by a celestial body. This problem can be solved using the equations of the Kepler problem, but the main difficulty lies in incorporating the flight time T into the solution. One possible approach is Lambert targeting, which can be studied in references such as "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications" by David Vallado and "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics" by Bate, Mueller, and White.
luisgml_2000

Homework Statement

Within the gravitational field produced by a celestial body of mass M we want to send a projectile of mass m from (x1,y1) to (x2,y2). The M mass is placed at the origin of coordinates. If the flight time is T, what is the initial velocity vector that we have to give to the projectile? Is this vector unique?

Homework Equations

The usual equations of the Kepler problem, ie

[tex]l=mr^2\dot{\theta}[/tex]

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}^2+\frac{l^2}{2mr^2}-\frac{k}{r}[/tex]

[tex]r=\frac{\frac{l^2}{mk}}{1+\epsilon\cos\theta}[/tex]

Maybe the most relevant one is

[tex]dt=\frac{m}{l}r^2\,d\theta[/tex]

since this equation includes time explicitly.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using [tex]dt=\frac{m}{l}r^2\,d\theta[/tex] and the equation for the orbit I integrated from [tex]t=0[/tex] to [tex]t=T[/tex] but the angular integration, that although can be done analytically, it turns out to be quite difficult, so I think this is not the right way to go.

The special case of a circular orbit is solved easily but I think the problem has to be solved in general.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
In this problem, conservation principles are not quite useful since they are time-independent. The main difficulty of this problem is to incorporate T into the solution of the problem.

Any ideas?

luisgml_2000 said:
Any ideas?
Lambert targeting.

Hi! Thanks for replying.

D H said:
Lambert targeting.

So my problem is about Lambert targeting? Can you tell me where I can read about it?

Thanks!

luisgml_2000 said:
So my problem is about Lambert targeting? Can you tell me where I can read about it?
[strike]As a starting point only, here is the wikipedia article on Lambert's problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert's_problem[/strike]

Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications by David Vallado is an excellent reference. Some of the section regarding Lambert's problem is available at Google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=PJLlWzMBKjkC&pg=RA1-PA448#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Fundamentals of Astrodynamics by Bate, Mueller, and White also covers the topic.

Chapter 2 ("Guidance Algorithm") of http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/34137/67775726.pdf?sequence=1" does a nice job of describing Lambert's problem.

Edit:
Wikipedia reference struck. This is an example of why wikipedia is a lousy reference. The article has no references, is poorly written, and misses the very important concept of the "short way" versus the "long way".

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Projectiles and the Kepler problem

1. What is the Kepler problem?

The Kepler problem is a mathematical model that describes the motion of two objects, such as a projectile and the planet it is launched from, under the influence of gravity. It was first proposed by Johannes Kepler in the 17th century and is based on his laws of planetary motion.

2. How does the Kepler problem relate to projectiles?

The Kepler problem is relevant to projectiles because it helps explain the path and trajectory of a projectile under the influence of gravity. By using the principles of the Kepler problem, scientists can accurately predict the motion of a projectile and its eventual landing point.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by several factors, including the initial launch angle, launch velocity, and the gravitational force of the planet or object it is being launched from. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the trajectory.

4. How is the Kepler problem used in real-world applications?

The Kepler problem has many practical applications, such as in space exploration, rocket launch trajectories, and ballistics. By understanding the principles of the Kepler problem, scientists and engineers can make precise calculations and predictions for the motion of objects in space or on Earth.

5. What is the difference between the Kepler problem and the Newtonian mechanics approach?

The Kepler problem is a simplified version of Newtonian mechanics, which takes into account the effects of gravity on the motion of objects. While Newtonian mechanics can be used to accurately describe the motion of projectiles and other objects, the Kepler problem provides a more straightforward and efficient method for calculating trajectories in certain situations.