Projectiles: Bullet Fired into Block

In summary, a 9 g bullet is fired into a 303 g block that is initially at rest at the edge of a frictionless table. The bullet remains in the block, and after impact the block lands 1.5 m from the bottom of the table. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s/s. Find the initial velocity (Vi) of the bullet in m/s.
kah22

Homework Statement

A(n) 9 g bullet is fired into a 303 g block that is initially at rest at the edge of a frictionless table of height 1.9 m. The bullet remains in the block, and after impact the block lands
1.5 m from the bottom of the table. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s/s.
Find the initial velocity (Vi) of the bullet in m/s.

Homework Equations

ΔX = Vi(t) + (1/2)(a)(t^2)

m(Vf-Vi) = -m(Vf-Vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated the equation into vertical and horizontal parts.
Horizontal: ΔX=1.5, a = 0 m/s/s
Vertical: ΔY= -1.9, a= -9.8 m/s/s, Vi = 0 m/s (because it is launched horizontally).
Using the kinematic equation ΔX = Vi(t) + (1/2)(a)(t^2) to solve for the vertical time:
-1.9 = 0(t) + 1/2 (-9.8)t^2
-1.9 = -4.9t^2
t^2 = 0.38775
t = 0.623 seconds

Since the vertical time is equal to the horizontal time, I plugged this time into the same kinematic equation to solve for the horizontal Vi:
1.5 = Vi (0.623) + 1/2(0)(0.623)
1.5 = Vi (o.623)
Vi = 2.41 m/s

This Vi is equal to the velocity at which the block and bullet are launched from the table.
I know the mass of the bullet, the mass of the block and bullet combined (312 g), the Vf (which is the Vi from the equation above), and the Vi of the block and bullet combined (0, since it is at rest). I can use the collision equation to solve for the Vi of the bullet.

m(Vf-Vi) = -m(Vf-Vi)
9(2.41-Vi) = -312(2.41-0)
21.69 -9Vi = -751.92
-9Vi=-773.61
Vi=85.96 m/s

The grading system says this answer isn't correct. I checked my math but I think I am missing something. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your t = 0.623s and your Vi = 2.41m/s
I think your mistake is in the last part. In the collision of the bullet with the block momentum is conserved so if you write:
Momentum of bullet = momentum of (block+bullet) see what you get
I got the velocity of the bullet to be 83.2m/s...what is the answer, do you know?

kah22 said:
m(Vf-Vi) = -m(Vf-Vi)
9(2.41-Vi) = -312(2.41-0)
21.69 -9Vi = -751.92
-9Vi=-773.61
Vi=85.96 m/s

According to the red equations m(Vf-Vi) =0, as zero alone is equal to the negative of itself.

Use conservation of momentum in the correct form. You have two objects with different masses and different initial and final velocities. Use proper notations.

ehild

FAQ: Projectiles: Bullet Fired into Block

1. How does the mass of the bullet affect its impact on the block?

The mass of the bullet does have an effect on its impact on the block. A heavier bullet will have more kinetic energy and thus will penetrate deeper into the block compared to a lighter bullet.

2. What role does the velocity of the bullet play in the projectile's trajectory?

The velocity of the bullet is a crucial factor in determining the projectile's trajectory. The higher the velocity, the farther the bullet will travel and the greater its impact on the block.

3. Are there any other factors besides mass and velocity that can affect the bullet's impact?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the bullet's impact on the block. These include the shape and composition of the bullet, the density and composition of the block, and the angle at which the bullet hits the block.

4. How does the distance between the gun and the block affect the experiment?

The distance between the gun and the block can affect the experiment in several ways. A shorter distance will result in a higher velocity and greater impact on the block. Additionally, the angle at which the bullet hits the block may also change with varying distances.

5. Is there a relationship between the size of the block and the bullet's penetration depth?

Yes, there is a relationship between the size of the block and the bullet's penetration depth. Generally, a larger block will require more force from the bullet to penetrate through it, resulting in a deeper penetration depth compared to a smaller block.