Projectiles launched at an angle not sure if i posted this already?

In summary, the problem involves a diver pushing off horizontally from a cliff 35 m above the water and needing to clear rocks that are 5 m from the base of the cliff. The minimum pushoff speed necessary to clear the rocks is 1.85 m/s in the x direction. The time in the air is 2.67 seconds.
aly1201

Homework Statement

A diver pushes off horizontally from a cliff 35 m above the water, and they must clear rocks that extend 5 m from the base of the cliff. (a)What minimum pushoff speed is necessary to clear the rocks? (b)How long are they in the air?

Homework Equations

for (b) t=square root of 35/4.9=2.67 s I understand how to derive the time equation.
for (b) y=v(y direction)t+1/2at^2 x=v(x direction)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved time already, and I got 1.85 m/s for the initial velocity in the x direction, but I can't get the correct initial velocity in the y direction. I am not even sure what I am doing wrong but its frustrating.

Physics news on Phys.org
thats actually not projectiles launched at an angle its horizontal projectile motion sorry-I was looking at an angled problem also, which I could use help with too.

aly1201 said:

Homework Statement

A diver pushes off horizontally from a cliff 35 m above the water, and they must clear rocks that extend 5 m from the base of the cliff. (a)What minimum pushoff speed is necessary to clear the rocks? (b)How long are they in the air?

Homework Equations

for (b) t=square root of 35/4.9=2.67 s I understand how to derive the time equation.
for (b) y=v(y direction)t+1/2at^2 x=v(x direction)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved time already, and I got 1.85 m/s for the initial velocity in the x direction, but I can't get the correct initial velocity in the y direction. I am not even sure what I am doing wrong but its frustrating.

The initial y velocity is "given" in the problem. It is zero, since he pushes off horizontally.

Oh ok, so I don't even have to solve for that. So the answer is really the initial velocity in the x direction? 1.85 m/s?

Yes.

Ok thanks!

Related to Projectiles launched at an angle not sure if i posted this already?

1. What is a projectile launched at an angle?

A projectile launched at an angle refers to an object that is thrown or propelled into the air at an angle other than 90 degrees to the ground. It follows a curved path due to the combination of its initial velocity and the force of gravity.

2. How is the angle of launch determined for a projectile?

The angle of launch for a projectile is determined by the initial velocity and the desired range or distance the object needs to travel. This angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle?

The trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can be manipulated to achieve different trajectories and ranges.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the range of a projectile. If the angle is too low, the object will not travel far enough, and if it is too high, it will not reach the desired target. The optimum angle for maximum range is 45 degrees.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectiles launched at an angle?

Projectiles launched at an angle have many real-life applications, including sports such as baseball, golf, and basketball, as well as military and defense systems. They are also used in engineering and construction for tasks such as demolition and bridge building.