Projecting a Vector onto a Plane

In summary, if you have a vector that makes an angle with a plane, you can find the amount of the vector projected onto the plane by multiplying the dot product of the vector and the plane's normal (disregarding the √2).
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

Say I have a vector v=(vx, vy, vz) that makes an angle α with the x-axis. The amount of v projected onto the x-axis I find from the dot product

v.x = √(vx2 + vy2 + vz2)cos(α)

I am also interested in finding the amount of v in the plane normal to the x-axis, i.e. I want to project v onto the y-z plane. Is this simply given by v.(y + z)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The components of a vector, v, at angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to a line, parallel and perpendicular to the line, form the legs of a right triangle having the vector as hypotenuse. Yes, the component parallel to the line is [itex]|v|cos(\theta)[/itex]. And just as obviously, the component perpendicular to the line is [itex]|v|sin(\theta))[/itex].

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
The components of a vector, v, at angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to a line, parallel and perpendicular to the line, form the legs of a right triangle having the vector as hypotenuse. Yes, the component parallel to the line is [itex]|v|cos(\theta)[/itex]. And just as obviously, the component perpendicular to the line is [itex]|v|sin(\theta))[/itex].

Thanks for your reply. OK, I took an example to test this out. My (unit) vector is [itex]v = (0, v_y, v_z)/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and the vector I want to project v onto is
[tex]
u = (u_x, u_y, 0)
[/tex]
The projection v onto u is then (disregarding the √2...)
[tex]
u_y = \sqrt{u_x^2 + u_y^2}\cos \theta
[/tex]
The perpendicular part is then given by [itex]\sin\theta[/itex], which must be given by (since sin2 + cos2 = 1...)
[tex]
u_x = \sqrt{u_x^2 + u_y^2}\sin \theta
[/tex]There is something I can't figure out - how can it be that there is no reference to any z-component in these expressions? I mean the above (perpendicular) sin-part only accounts for how much of vy is perpendicular to u, it does not include the fact that vz is also perpendicular. Is this something I have to manually add somehow? I hope you understand my question.

Last edited:
Well, I avoided mentioning components at all for exactly that reason. if [itex]\vec{u}= u_x\vec{ i}+ u_y\vec{j}+ u_z\vec{k}[/itex] then its projection onto any line with which it makes angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]|u|cos(\theta)= \sqrt{u_x^2+ u_y^2+ u_z^2} cos(\theta)[/itex] and the length of the perpendicular is [itex]|u|sin(\theta)= \sqrt{u_x^2+ u_y^2+ u_z^2} sin(\theta)[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
OK, so just a generalization from 2D to 3D. Thanks for your help and time

Related to Projecting a Vector onto a Plane

1. What is the purpose of projecting a vector onto a plane?

Projecting a vector onto a plane is a mathematical process used to find the component of that vector that lies in the same direction as the plane. This can be helpful in solving problems involving motion and forces in physics and engineering.

2. How is a vector projected onto a plane?

To project a vector onto a plane, you can use the dot product or cross product between the vector and a vector perpendicular to the plane. The result will be a new vector that lies in the same direction as the plane. You can also use trigonometry to find the magnitude and direction of the projected vector.

3. Can a vector be projected onto any plane?

Yes, a vector can be projected onto any plane in three-dimensional space. The direction and magnitude of the projected vector will depend on the angle between the original vector and the plane.

4. How is the projected vector related to the original vector?

The projected vector and the original vector are related by the cosine of the angle between them. This means that the magnitude of the projected vector is equal to the magnitude of the original vector multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them.

5. What are some real-world applications of projecting a vector onto a plane?

Projecting a vector onto a plane has many practical applications, such as calculating the horizontal and vertical components of a projectile's motion, finding the force acting on an object on an inclined plane, and determining the velocity and acceleration of an object moving on a curved surface. It is also widely used in computer graphics and animation to simulate three-dimensional objects and their movements.