Projector will not do widescreen from computer

In summary, when the computer is connected to the Epson Movie Mate 30s video projector, it initially displays in widescreen but switches to a 4:3 ratio once Windows loads. The user has tried adjusting the video card settings and using a widescreen resolution, but the image remains distorted. However, by adjusting the refresh rate to 60hz and using the native 854x480 resolution, the issue is resolved and the user is able to project a 1280x768 image on a 25 ft wide wall.
ssb
Here is the weird thing... when my computer is connected to my video projector (epson movie mate 30s) it will do widescreen as it posts but as soon as it gets to windows it locks in a 4:3 ratio.

What gives here? I've scanned my video card settings for some sort of toggle but can't find any. Even when I select a widescreen resolution it still projects 4:3 but then its all scruntched together.

Any clues?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Post runs at the base resolution 640X480 @ 60hz.
When windows loads the video card device drivers a switch is made to the settings shown in control panel.
If your video card allows it you could try the 854x480 setting.
Also refresh rate could be a factor.
Try resetting the video card refresh rate to 60hz.
Use the "Advanced" button on the "Settings" tab.
Then select the "Monitors" tab to set this.

Your projector specs
Resolution: Native 480p (854 x 480)
Aspect Ratio: Native 16:9 widescreen; Compatible with 4:3 and letterbox with Zoom, Normal and Stretch Modes

Yes! That was it! I lowered the refresh from 85 to 60 and its working great! I am currently typing this on a 25 ft wide wall. the distance from here "X" to here "X" is almost 2 feet.

using 1280 x 768

thanks

Last edited:
I want a projector. :(

FAQ: Projector will not do widescreen from computer

1. Why is my projector not displaying widescreen from my computer?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to incorrect display settings on your computer, incompatible resolution between the computer and projector, or a faulty HDMI or VGA cable.

2. How can I fix this issue?

First, check your computer's display settings and make sure the resolution is set to a widescreen aspect ratio, such as 16:9. If that does not work, try using a different cable or connecting the computer to a different input on the projector. If the problem persists, there may be an issue with the projector itself and it may need to be serviced.

3. Can I change the aspect ratio on my projector?

Yes, most projectors have the option to change the aspect ratio to match the input source. Check the projector's user manual for instructions on how to change the aspect ratio.

4. Why is my widescreen content being displayed with black bars on the sides?

This is likely due to the content being in a different aspect ratio than the projector's native resolution. Some projectors have a "fit to screen" option that can stretch the image to fill the screen, but this may result in distorted images.

5. Can I use a widescreen projector with a non-widescreen computer?

Yes, you can still use a widescreen projector with a non-widescreen computer, but the image will be displayed with black bars on the top and bottom. However, you may be able to change the aspect ratio on the projector to match the computer's resolution and avoid the black bars.