Proof by contrapositive; if (m^2+n^2) div by 4, then m,n are even numbers

In summary: This can be proven by considering cases where either m or n is odd and the other is even. Therefore, the proof is complete. In summary, the proof shows that if m^2 + n^2 is divisible by 4, then both m and n are even numbers, by using a proof by contrapositive and considering cases where m or n is odd and the other is even.
jeszo

Homework Statement

Let m and n be two integers. Prove that if m^2 + n^2 is divisible by 4, then both m and n are even numbers

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof by Contrapositive. Assume m, n are odd numbers, showing that m^2 + n^2 is not divisible by 4.

let:
m= 2a + 1 (a,b are integers)
n=2b+1

m^2+n^2 = (2a+1)^2 + (2b+1)^2 = 4a^2 +4a + 1 + 4b^2 + 4b +1

let: 4(a^2 + a + b^2 + b) = 4q (q an integer)

m^2 + n^2 = 4q + 2

with 4q + 2 not divisible by 4 since 4 divides 4q + 2 with a remainder of 2.
==> if m and n are odd numbers, m^2 + n^2 is not divisible 4, which by contrapositive reasoning proves that if m^2 + n^2 is divisible by 4, then m and n are odd numbers.

----------------------------------

I finished my proof there, but had a note underneath that said that it was incomplete, since I was missing "other cases". Does this mean I have to also show that m and n can't be of opposite parity either? I've been under the impression that the negation of "m and n are even numbers" was "m and n are odd numbers". Is this logic wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thenegation of "both m and n are even" is "at least 1 of m or n is odd".

Related to Proof by contrapositive; if (m^2+n^2) div by 4, then m,n are even numbers

1. What is proof by contrapositive?

Proof by contrapositive is a method of proving a statement by showing that its negation leads to a contradiction. In other words, if we can prove that the opposite of a statement is false, then the original statement must be true.

2. How is proof by contrapositive different from direct proof?

In direct proof, we start with the given statement and logically deduce the conclusion. In proof by contrapositive, we start with the negation of the conclusion and show that it leads to the negation of the given statement.

3. Why is it useful to use proof by contrapositive?

Proof by contrapositive can be helpful when it is difficult to prove a statement directly. In some cases, it may be easier to prove the negation of a statement and then use proof by contrapositive to show that the original statement must be true.

4. How is proof by contrapositive used in mathematics?

Proof by contrapositive is a commonly used method in mathematics, especially in fields such as algebra and number theory. It allows us to prove many theorems and statements that would be difficult to prove directly.

5. Can any statement be proven using proof by contrapositive?

No, not all statements can be proven using proof by contrapositive. This method only works for statements that are in the form of "if p then q", where p and q are logical statements. It cannot be used for statements that do not follow this format.