Proof by induction of the sum of 2 squares

In summary, the problem asks to prove by induction that any integer r= a1,a2,a3...an, where all the a's are sums of 2 squares, is itself a sum of two squares. This is demonstrated by showing that the product of two integers that are both sums of two squares is also a sum of two squares. The proof is done by first showing the base case for n=2, and then assuming it is true for n=k and proving it for n=k+1. The problem also asks to check this by using specific values for r and demonstrating different ways to express them as sums of two squares.
Mod note: Moved this thread to Precalculus section.

Physics news on Phys.org
aporter1 said:
so I've gone along with

assume: rk=(a2+b2)
if, rk+1=(a2+b2)(c2+d2)=(ac-bd)2)+(ad+bc)2
Let me answer this post of yours again.

It makes sense to usea subscript with r. Did your teacher give you that idea?

You should really define rn somewhere.

Like: Let rn = a1a2a3a4...an where each ai is the sum of two integers.

Now, let's redo what you have above with some changes that I will put in RED.
aporter1 said:
so I've gone along with

Assume: rk=(a2+b2), for two integers, a and b.

If ak+1 = c2+d2, for two integers, c and d,

[STRIKE]if,[/STRIKE] then rk+1=(a2+b2)(c2+d2)=(ac-bd)2)+(ad+bc)2

Therefore, rk+1 is the sum of the squares of two integers.

aporter1 said:
I've taken history of math discrete math
Is that two different classes or one? If it's one class, what are the prerequisites for the class you're currently in, and if there are any, did you take them and get a reasonably good grade? I get the sense that you're way over your head in this class.
aporter1 said:
, but its been a while. Its a 400 level course, its an independent study class. I've gone to my teacher for help but I don't understand

Mark44 said:
Is that two different classes or one? If it's one class, what are the prerequisites for the class you're currently in, and if there are any, did you take them and get a reasonably good grade? I get the sense that you're way over your head in this class.

its one class, and i got good grades in the pre requisites. but see its an independent study class where its a special topics class, so my teacher just randomly picked a book

aporter1 said:
its one class, and i got good grades in the pre requisites. but see its an independent study class where its a special topics class, so my teacher just randomly picked a book
I doubt that it was a random pick !