Proof by mathematical induction

In summary: This is where the induction comes in. You say that you can prove it for all n, by proving that it is true for n=1. So you assume that the statement is true for all n, which means that the statement is also true for n+1.
nuuskur
Science Advisor
Hello,

I need to prove the following:
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n\binom{n}{i} = 2^n[/tex]
by using something called mathematical induction. I understand, somewhat, what it is - we propose a statement and show that is true for n=1, then we assume that the statement is true for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], which should also mean that the statement is true for n+1. This is what I have written down:

[tex]\binom{n+1}{0} + \binom{n+1}{1}+ . . .+ \binom{n+1}{n-1}+ \binom{n+1}{n}+ \binom{n+1}{n+1} = 2^{n+1} [/tex]
which is
[tex]1 + (n+1) + \frac{n(n+1)}{2!}+ . . .+ \frac{n(n+1)}{2!}+ (n+1)+ 1 = 2^{n+1}[/tex]
I can see a symmetry and I thought about calculating half and showing that it equals 2n, but that idea quickly died, since I don't know where the "half point" is in the sum.

What should I do?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nuuskur said:
Hello,

I need to prove the following:
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n\binom{n}{i} = 2^n[/tex]
by using something called mathematical induction. I understand, somewhat, what it is - we propose a statement and show that is true for n=1, then we assume that the statement is true for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], which should also mean that the statement is true for n+1. This is what I have written down:

[tex]\binom{n+1}{0} + \binom{n+1}{1}+ . . .+ \binom{n+1}{n-1}+ \binom{n+1}{n}+ \binom{n+1}{n+1} = 2^{n+1} [/tex]
which is
[tex]1 + (n+1) + \frac{n(n+1)}{2!}+ . . .+ \frac{n(n+1)}{2!}+ (n+1)+ 1 = 2^{n+1}[/tex]
I can see a symmetry and I thought about calculating half and showing that it equals 2n, but that idea quickly died, since I don't know where the "half point" is in the sum.

What should I do?
Thanks in advance!

Given the truth of the statement for ##n=k##, you need to prove it for ##n= k+1##. To do that, you need to know how ##\binom{n+1}{r}## relates to ##\binom{n}{s}##. Use Pascal's Triangle; look it up if you have not heard of it.

I looked it up Here and saw the Pascal's rule, according to which I could state that:
[tex]\binom{n+1}{k} = \binom{n}{k-1}+ \binom{n}{k}, n \geq 0 \land k \in [1, n][/tex]
(k can't be zero, right? If it is then nCk-1)

If I plug in k=n I get:
Left side:
[tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{n!}= n+1[/tex]
Right side:
[tex]\frac{n!}{(n-1)!}+ \frac{n!}{n!}= n+1 [/tex]
Cannot understand how this helps me come to the conclusion in the first statement(the original assignment). What exactly does that equality show?

It doesn't look like you're trying to use induction. The idea between induction is this: Suppose that for each natural number n, P(n) is a statement about n. You can prove that P(n) is true for all n, by proving only two statements:

1. P(0)
2. For all n, if P(n) then P(n+1).

In your case, P(n) is the statement ##\sum_{i=1}^n \binom n i=2^n##. You need to prove P(0), i.e. that ##\sum_{i=0}^0 \binom 0 i =2^0##. This is of course easy. Then you let n be an arbitrary natural number and try to prove that if P(n) then P(n+1). So you have to use ##\sum_{i=0}^n \binom n i =2^n## to prove ##\sum_{i=0}^{n+1}\binom{n+1}{i}=2^{n+1}##.

Last edited:

FAQ: Proof by mathematical induction

1. What is proof by mathematical induction?

Proof by mathematical induction is a method used to prove that a statement is true for all values of a given variable. It involves using a base case and an inductive step to show that the statement holds for all subsequent values of the variable.

2. How do you start a proof by mathematical induction?

The first step in a proof by mathematical induction is to establish a base case, which is typically the smallest possible value of the variable. This base case must be proven to be true for the statement to hold.

3. What is the inductive step in a proof by mathematical induction?

The inductive step in a proof by mathematical induction involves showing that if the statement holds for a particular value of the variable, it also holds for the next value. This is done by assuming the statement is true for the previous value and using that to prove its truth for the next value.

4. Can you use proof by mathematical induction to prove any statement?

No, proof by mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that are true for all values of a given variable. It cannot be used to prove statements that are only true for specific values or a subset of values.

5. What are the limitations of proof by mathematical induction?

Proof by mathematical induction can only be used for statements that involve a discrete variable, such as natural numbers. It also requires a base case and an inductive step, which may not always be easy to identify or prove. Additionally, it does not necessarily provide a deep understanding of why a statement is true, as it relies on a finite number of cases rather than a general proof.