Proof by transfinite induction?

In summary: N itself. It doesn't show it's finite.You are going to have a hard time finding a set that is dense AND well ordered. And showing X is order isomorphic to an initial subset of N doesn't say it can't be isomorphic to N itself. It doesn't show it's finite.So should I try and prove that X is not dense?OR, is there a way I could adapt the isomorphism method?
oliphant

Homework Statement

Show that if X is a subset of a well-ordered set (A, ≤ ) such that x0 > x1 > x2... then X must be finite.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like there's an obvious solution in that we know X must be well ordered, so has a least element. But by the question, X has a maximum element (x0), so X must be finite. I don't know what's wrong with this argument, but I don't think it's right.

Moving on to what I think must be the real solution, I think transfinite induction might be involved. I think I need to prove something similar to above, like if I define P(x) to be the property that x > x* for all x in X, then there would be a minimum element. So if P(y) is true for all y < x, then P(x) is true for all x.

If this is totally wrong, please suggest another avenue of investigation as I'm really not sure about this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are overthinking this. If x0>x1>x2>... doesn't terminate then X doesn't have a least element, does it?

After sleeping on it, I realize I was thinking of X as an interval, not a set.

Hang on, if x0>x1>x2>... doesn't terminate it doesn't have a least element. But we know X is a subset of a well ordered set (A,≤), so is well ordered by ≤. So ... x2 ≤ x1 ≤ x0 WILL have a least element. Is that right?

oliphant said:
After sleeping on it, I realize I was thinking of X as an interval, not a set.

Hang on, if x0>x1>x2>... doesn't terminate it doesn't have a least element. But we know X is a subset of a well ordered set (A,≤), so is well ordered by ≤. So ... x2 ≤ x1 ≤ x0 WILL have a least element. Is that right?

Yes, looks to me like that's a contradiction, which proves that X must be finite.

Wow, that was much simpler than I thought it would be. Teach me to judge a question by how many marks it's worth.

There's a follow on question "Deduce that any strictly descending chain of ordinals has finite length."

Assume the chain is infinite α > β > ..

But we know α > β > .. > 1 > 0. Contradiction. Set has finite length.

Would that suffice?

It suffices for me. It's the same proof as the first question, right? But why are you bringing 1 and 0 into this? The contradiction is not having a minimum member of the chain.

Hm, well backtracking from the follow on question for a second, it seems that if we know the set has a minimum and a maximum element we can't necessarily say it is finite. Surely we have to consider the case where X is dense?

We'd need to prove that there exists a bijection from X to {1,...,n}. We have a theorem that (A, ≤) and (B, ≤') are well ordered then either (B,≤') ⊲ (is order isomorphic to an initial subset of) (A, ≤) or vice versa. So replacing A by X and B by N and showing X ⊲ N will complete the proof. Which I think means the stuff we've done so far has been made slightly redundant!

oliphant said:
Hm, well backtracking from the follow on question for a second, it seems that if we know the set has a minimum and a maximum element we can't necessarily say it is finite. Surely we have to consider the case where X is dense?

We'd need to prove that there exists a bijection from X to {1,...,n}. We have a theorem that (A, ≤) and (B, ≤') are well ordered then either (B,≤') ⊲ (is order isomorphic to an initial subset of) (A, ≤) or vice versa. So replacing A by X and B by N and showing X ⊲ N will complete the proof. Which I think means the stuff we've done so far has been made slightly redundant!

You are going to have a hard time finding a set that is dense AND well ordered. And showing X is order isomorphic to an initial subset of N doesn't say it can't be isomorphic to N itself. It doesn't show it's finite.

So should I try and prove that X is not dense?

OR, is there a way I could adapt the isomorphism method? I found a lemma that states if X is well ordered, each element of X except the first is a successor of some other element of X and X has no greatest element then (X, <) is isomorphic to (N, <). Clearly the first two statements are true, but could I not try and change the third condition to "DOES have a greatest element" and change the conclusion to something suitable.

And showing X is order isomorphic to an initial subset of N doesn't say it can't be isomorphic to N itself.
I don't really understand this, could you expand?EDIT: Also, is [0,1] U Q not a well ordered dense set?

Last edited:
[0,1] is not a well ordered set. Q is not a well ordered set. [0,1] U Q is not a well ordered set. I suggest you go back a few posts and try to prove a set X such that x0>x1>x2>... is finite directly, just from the definition of well ordering. Don't try and change lemmas, and don't think hard about sets that aren't well ordered.

Ok, hammer is approaching the head of the nail.

We haven't been explicitly told that well ordered sets cannot be dense. But, I think from the proposition "every element in X except the last one has an immediate successor" we can prove that X is not dense.

Starting with an xi in X, we know that there is a set of elements that follows xi that is a subset of X. According to our definition of a well ordered set, this subset will have a least element, say xj. Now, xi ≺ xj, and by our definition of xj there is no element between the two. Therefore X is not dense.

oliphant said:
Ok, hammer is approaching the head of the nail.

We haven't been explicitly told that well ordered sets cannot be dense. But, I think from the proposition "every element in X except the last one has an immediate successor" we can prove that X is not dense.

Starting with an xi in X, we know that there is a set of elements that follows xi that is a subset of X. According to our definition of a well ordered set, this subset will have a least element, say xj. Now, xi ≺ xj, and by our definition of xj there is no element between the two. Therefore X is not dense.

Sure, ok. X isn't dense. Now can you solve the original problem?

Well we know X has a first and last element by the earlier contradiction, and is not dense. So it's finite. Correct?

oliphant said:
Well we know X has a first and last element by the earlier contradiction, and is not dense. So it's finite. Correct?

Sort of. But you don't need to say anything about 'dense' at all. If x0>x1>x2>... doesn't terminate, then for every x_k in X, x_k>x_k+1. So x_k isn't a least element for any k. So there is no least element. Same idea for the chain. If every element of X is greater than some other element of X, then there is no minimum.

I see, I think I just needed the argument about density before to get it straight in my head. I should be able to form a coherent proof from all this.

Thank you very much for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Related to Proof by transfinite induction?

1. What is transfinite induction?

Transfinite induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove statements about infinitely large sets or structures. It is based on the principle that if a statement is true for all previous elements in a sequence, it must also be true for the next element.

2. How does transfinite induction differ from regular induction?

Transfinite induction is an extension of regular induction, which is used to prove statements about finite sets or structures. While regular induction only considers the next element in a sequence, transfinite induction takes into account all previous elements in an infinite sequence.

3. What is the role of ordinals and cardinals in transfinite induction?

Ordinals and cardinals are used to define the order and size of infinite sets in transfinite induction. Ordinals represent the order of elements in a sequence, while cardinals represent the size of a set. These concepts allow us to generalize induction to infinite sets and structures.

4. Can transfinite induction be used to prove any statement?

No, transfinite induction can only be used to prove statements that are well-ordered, meaning that every non-empty subset has a first element. This is because the principle of induction relies on the existence of a first element in a sequence.

5. What are some examples of proofs using transfinite induction?

Some common examples of proofs using transfinite induction include proving the existence of countably infinite sets, showing the existence of a minimal element in a set, and proving statements about recursively defined objects such as trees or graphs.