Proof for commutator $[\hat{H},\hat{a}] = - \hbar \omega \hat{a}

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equations found on Wikipedia for a quantum harmonic oscillator. The conversation delves into the use of annihilation and creation operators, as well as the commutation relations between them and the Hamiltonian operator. The conversation also mentions the use of these commutation relations to find the eigenstates of the quantum harmonic oscillator, and the desire to fully understand and derive the equation for the energy levels.
71GA
I know how to derive below equations found on wikipedia and have done it myselt:

\begin{align}
\hat{H} &= \hbar \omega \left(\hat{a}^\dagger\hat{a} + \frac{1}{2}\right)\\
\hat{H} &= \hbar \omega \left(\hat{a}\hat{a}^\dagger - \frac{1}{2}\right)\\
\end{align}

where ##\hat{a}=\tfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(\hat{P} - i \hat{X}\right)## is a annihilation operator and ##\hat{a}^\dagger=\tfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(\hat{P} + i \hat{X}\right)## a creation operator. Let me write also that:

\begin{align}
\hat{P}&= \frac{1}{p_0}\hat{p} = -\frac{i\hbar}{\sqrt{\hbar m \omega}} \frac{d}{dx}\\
\hat{X}&=\frac{1}{x_0} \hat{x}=\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}}x
\end{align}

In order to continue i need a proof that operators ##\hat{a}## and ##\hat{a}^\dagger## give a following commutator with hamiltonian ##\hat{H}##:

\begin{align}
\left[\hat{H},\hat{a} \right] &= -\hbar\omega \, \hat{a}\\
\left[\hat{H},\hat{a}^\dagger \right] &= +\hbar\omega \, \hat{a}^\dagger
\end{align}

These statements can be found on wikipedia as well as here, but nowhere it is proven that the above relations for commutator really hold. I tried to derive ##\left[\hat{H},\hat{a} \right]## and my result was:

$$
\left[\hat{H},\hat{a} \right] \psi = -i \sqrt{\frac{\omega \hbar^3}{4m}}\psi
$$

You should know that this this is 3rd commutator that i have ever calculated so it probably is wrong, but here is a photo of my attempt on paper. I would appreciate if anyone has any link to a proof of the commutator relations (one will do) or could post a proof here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you know the commutation relations between P and X? If so, write them down here.
From that, you can work the commutator ##[a, a^\dagger]##.
From that, you can work out your ##[H,a]##, etc. (Hint: apply the Leibniz product rule.)

strangerep said:
I presume you know the commutation relations between P and X? If so, write them down here.

\begin{align}
\left[\hat{X}, \hat{P}\right] = \left[\tfrac{1}{x_0}\hat{x},\tfrac{1}{p_0}\hat{p}\right]=\tfrac{1}{x_0p_0} \big[\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\ \underbrace{\hat{x},\hat{p}}_{i\hbar \text{... calculated below}} \!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\! \big]= \frac{1}{x_0 p_0} \hbar i = \sqrt{\frac{m \omega }{\hbar \hbar m \omega}} \hbar i = i
\end{align}

\begin{align}
\left[ \hat{x}, \hat{p} \right] \psi &= \hat{x}\hat{p} \psi - \hat{p} \hat{x} \psi = - x\,i \hbar \frac{d \psi}{d x} - \left(- i\hbar \frac{d}{dx} \left(x \psi \right)\right) = - x\, i \hbar \frac{d \psi}{dx} + i \hbar \underbrace{\frac{d}{dx}\left( x \psi \right)}_{\text{product rule}} =\\
&= - x\, i \hbar \frac{d \psi }{d x} + i\hbar\left( \frac{d x}{d x} \psi + x \frac{d \psi}{d x} \right) = -x\,i\hbar \frac{d \psi}{dx} + i \hbar \psi + x\, i \hbar \frac{d \psi}{dx} = i \hbar \psi
\end{align}

strangerep said:
From that, you can work the commutator ##[a, a^\dagger]##.
I don't quite know how to start this.

strangerep said:
From that, you can work out your ##[H,a]##, etc. (Hint: apply the Leibniz product rule.)
Lets leave this for later and work out ##[a, a^\dagger]## first.

71GA said:
I don't quite know how to start this.

Use that the commutator bracket is linear. So ##[\alpha A + \beta B, C] = \alpha [A,C] + \beta [B,C]## and the same thing in the other variable.

You are good to go, note
[tex]
a=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{P}-i\hat{X})
[/tex]
and
[tex]
a^{\dagger} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{P}+i\hat{X})
[/tex]
now
[tex]
[a,a^{\dagger}] = \frac{1}{2}\left[ (\hat{P}-i\hat{X}),(\hat{P}+i\hat{X}) \right]
[/tex]
and bust it out using what you just showed us.

jfy4 said:
You are good to go, note
[tex]
a=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{P}-i\hat{X})
[/tex]
and
[tex]
a^{\dagger} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{P}+i\hat{X})
[/tex]
now
[tex]
[a,a^{\dagger}] = \frac{1}{2}\left[ (\hat{P}-i\hat{X}),(\hat{P}+i\hat{X}) \right]
[/tex]
and bust it out using what you just showed us.

I think i wrote this wrong as it is:

[tex]
a=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{X}-i\hat{P})
[/tex]
and
[tex]
a^{\dagger} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{X}+i\hat{P})
[/tex]

Thank you all. I just solved this and it feels great. Now that i know following commutators:

\begin{align}
[\hat{H}, \hat{a}] &= -\hbar \omega \hat{a}\\
[\hat{H}, \hat{a}^\dagger] &= \hbar \omega \hat{a}^\dagger\\
\end{align}

On the Wikipedia it is said that these commutators can be used to find eigenstates of Quant. harm. oscilator, but explanation is a bit too fast there. Anyway i strive to be able to derive the equation $W_n = \hbar \omega \left(n + \tfrac{1}{2}\right)$ in full, but first i need to clear why theese two relations hold:

\begin{align}
\hat{H}\hat{a} \psi_n &= (W_n - \hbar \omega) \hat{a} \psi_n\\
\hat{H}\hat{a}^\dagger \psi_n &= (W_n + \hbar \omega) \hat{a}^\dagger \psi_n
\end{align}

I can't see any commutators in above relations, so how do the commutators i just calculated help us to get and solve these two relations? And i am sorry for asking so basic questions but i am a selftaught and a real freshman to commutators algebra.

71GA said:
On the Wikipedia it is said that these commutators can be used to find eigenstates of Quant. harm. oscilator, but explanation is a bit too fast there. Anyway i strive to be able to derive the equation ##W_n = \hbar \omega \left(n + \tfrac{1}{2}\right)## in full, but first i need to clear why theese two relations hold:

\begin{align}
\hat{H}\hat{a} \psi_n &= (W_n - \hbar \omega) \hat{a} \psi_n\\
\hat{H}\hat{a}^\dagger \psi_n &= (W_n + \hbar \omega) \hat{a}^\dagger \psi_n
\end{align}

I can't see any commutators in above relations, so how do the commutators i just calculated help us to get and solve these two relations? And i am sorry for asking so basic questions but i am a selftaught and a real freshman to commutators algebra.
Let's stick to the notation used in that Wikipedia page. I.e., let's change your ##W_n## to ##E_n##.
As explained on the Wiki page, we have
$$
H \psi_n ~=~ E_n \psi_n ~.
$$
So to evaluate ##H a \psi_n##, use the ##[H,a]## formula to swap the order of ##H## and ##a##, and then use the equation above.

BTW, are you self-learning from a textbook? If so, which one? (If not, you probably need to invest in one...) Questions at this level should more properly be posted in the homework forums.

homework problem. move to other thread.

Related to Proof for commutator $[\hat{H},\hat{a}] = - \hbar \omega \hat{a}

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to determine the relationship between two operators. It is defined as the difference between the product of two operators and the product of the same two operators in reverse order.

2. What does the commutator $[\hat{H},\hat{a}]$ represent?

The commutator $[\hat{H},\hat{a}]$ represents the relationship between the Hamiltonian operator ($\hat{H}$) and the annihilation operator ($\hat{a}$). It tells us how these two operators interact with each other.

3. How is the commutator $[\hat{H},\hat{a}]$ related to energy?

The commutator $[\hat{H},\hat{a}]$ is related to energy through the equation $[\hat{H},\hat{a}] = - \hbar \omega \hat{a}$, where $\hbar$ is the reduced Planck's constant and $\omega$ is the frequency of the system. This equation tells us that the commutator is equal to a constant (in this case, $-\hbar\omega$) multiplied by the annihilation operator, which has units of energy.

4. Why is the commutator $[\hat{H},\hat{a}]$ important in quantum mechanics?

The commutator $[\hat{H},\hat{a}]$ is important in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the dynamics of a quantum system. By knowing the commutator, we can determine how the Hamiltonian operator and the annihilation operator affect each other, and therefore, how the system evolves over time.

5. What does the solution to $[\hat{H},\hat{a}] = - \hbar \omega \hat{a}$ tell us?

The solution to $[\hat{H},\hat{a}] = - \hbar \omega \hat{a}$ tells us that the Hamiltonian operator and the annihilation operator are not compatible, meaning they cannot be measured simultaneously with complete accuracy. This is known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.