Proof: Multiplication is commutative

In summary: Etc. So the concept of "successor" can be used to define addition without any other concepts.Now, it happens that you can define multiplication using addition. But the definition of multiplication does not have to use successors, it can use addition directly. However, it's not hard to prove that S(n) = n + 1. So the notation of m++ is just a convenient abbreviation for S(m) or m + 1.Overall, there are some advantages in using successors and avoiding addition, as it's a bit more general and you don't need to assume the completeness of the successor function (although it can be
HMPARTICLE

Homework Statement

Let n,m be natural numbers. Then n x m = m x n.

Prove this.

Homework Equations

In order to prove this i am asked to prove 2 Lemma that will be useful.
In my solution i will (attempt to) prove these first.Definition of multiplication;
for all m in N
0 x m = 0,
(n++) x m := (n x m) + m.

The Attempt at a Solution

Lemma 1*
For any natural number n, n x 0 = 0.

Consider the base case, n = 0, 0 x 0 = 0 since 0 x m = 0 for every natural number and 0 is a natural number.

suppose inductively that n x 0 = 0. we wish to show that (n++) x 0 = 0. But by the definition of multiplication (n++) x 0 = n x 0 + 0 which is equal to 0 by the inductive hypothesis.

Lemma 2*
for any natural numbers n,m
n x (m++) = (m x n) + m

we induct on n. The base case, n = 0 gives m x 0++ = m and (m x 0) + m = m by lemma 1.
suppose inductively that m x ( n++) = (m x n) + m. we must show that m x (n++)++ = (m x (n++)) + m.
Now the right hand side is equal to ((m x n) + m) + m by the inductive hypothesis. rearranging we obtain m x n + 2 x m. Now the left hand side of the equation is m x (n+2) = m x n + 2 x m. Thus both sides are equal and we have closed the induction.

{ The above lemma is my main problem, it just doesn't seem correct. The book these exercises are from limit the use of operations until they are mentioned. Tao / analysis 1}

Let n, m be natural numbers. Then n x m = m x n.

we shall induct on n keeping m fixed.

First we do the base case n =0, we show 0 x m = m x 0. By the definition of multiplication 0 x m = 0, while by lemma 1, m x 0 = 0. Thus the base case is done.

Now suppose inductively that n x m = m x n. Now we prove that (n++) x m = m x (n++) to close the induction.
By the definition of multiplication (n++) x m = (n x m) + m;
By lemma 2 m x (n++) = (m x n) + m;
But by the inductive hypothesis (m x n) is equal to (n x m). and hence m x (n++) = (n++) x m and n x m = m x n.
Thus both sides are equal and we have closed the induction.

NOTE;
I have been plastering these pages with sub standard proofs, for that, i am sorry. I'd like some comments please. There are no solutions to the exercises so i am having to reply on forums. PF seems to be the best.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
regarding Lemma 2, it looks like you are jumping way ahead of the available proven results.

I would suggest that, given the desired n x (m++) = (n x m) + n (note, corrected from your comment)
- you run induction on the first term of this, not the second. (show that, from [ n x (m++) = (n x m) + n ] you can deduce [ n++ x (m++) = (n++ x m) + n++ ]
You will need associativity and commutivity of addition. Be very careful not to switch your multiplication terms around - this is what you are aiming to prove, so using it within your proof is senseless. Essentially you need a lot of very small steps to gradually switch the expression into the desired state.

Likes HMPARTICLE
Thanks again! it is ok to say that $$ ((n \times m) + m) + (n++)) = ((n \times m) + m) + (n+1)) $$ ? isn't it? because... its true? if so then i have definitely got it. then by using the propositions/lemma's that addition is associative and commutative i eventually get the same expression for the R.H.S as the L.H.S.

MANY thanks again. haha.

I didn't need that, since I think we already had that (n + (m++)) = (n + m)++ = ((n++) + m)

However, since 1 is 0++, I think you could quickly prove that n++ = n+1

Likes HMPARTICLE
For benefit of most of us could you tell us what m++ etc., the thing we were always told you couldn't write and doesn't mean anything, means?

epenguin said:
For benefit of most of us could you tell us what m++ etc., the thing we were always told you couldn't write and doesn't mean anything, means?
It's in his textbook, (I found http://www.scribd.com/doc/236152665/Analysis-I-First-4-Chapters-Second-Edition-Terence-Tao) and n++ just means the successor of n - what I have seen elsewhere written as S(n). I agree it can be a slightly confusing notation used inside addition expressions.

I guessed it must be something like that - I thought I could do the proof if for ++ I could write +1.
I guess that is a bit crude of me, and 'successor of m' is philosophically and logically more minimal?

epenguin said:
I guessed it must be something like that - I thought I could do the proof if for ++ I could write +1.
I guess that is a bit crude of me, and 'successor of m' is philosophically and logically more minimal?
The successor concept is part of the Peano axioms. Here they are, using S(n) instead of n++:
  1. 0 is a natural number
  2. For every natural number n, S(n) is a natural number
  3. For every natural number n, S(n) = 0 is false
  4. For all natural numbers m and n, if S(m) = S(n), then m = n
  5. If K is a set such that:
    • 0 is in K, and
    • for every natural number n, if n is in K, then S(n) is in K,
    then K contains every natural number
- the last one asserting the completeness of the successor function in generating all natural numbers.

Addition is defined using successors:
  1. a + 0 = a
  2. a + S(b) = S(a + b)
The definition of "1" is the successor of zero, S(0). So m+1 is a more complex concept, in this scheme, than S(m).

Joffan said:
regarding Lemma 2, it looks like you are jumping way ahead of the available proven results.

I would suggest that, given the desired n x (m++) = (n x m) + n (note, corrected from your comment)
- you run induction on the first term of this, not the second. (show that, from [ n x (m++) = (n x m) + n ] you can deduce [ n++ x (m++) = (n++ x m) + n++ ]
You will need associativity and commutivity of addition. Be very careful not to switch your multiplication terms around - this is what you are aiming to prove, so using it within your proof is senseless. Essentially you need a lot of very small steps to gradually switch the expression into the desired state.
How do you solve [ n++ x (m++) = (n++ x m) + n++ ], how can you show that this is the same?

Source https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/proof-multiplication-is-commutative.782057/

rb120134 said:
How do you solve [ n++ x (m++) = (n++ x m) + n++ ],
You don't "solve" this equation, you deduce that it is true.
rb120134 said:
how can you show that this is the same?
The notation may be obscuring things. "n++" is computer notation, specifically the C and C++ programming languages, as well as other languages that are derived from C.

In this problem n++ seems to be shorthand for n + 1, and similarly for m++.

So, the task is to deduce (i.e., show) that ##(n + 1) \times (m + 1)## is identically equal to ##[(n + 1) \times m] + (n + 1)##.

rb120134 said:
This reference is useless, as it points to this very thread.

Mark44 said:
You don't "solve" this equation, you deduce that it is true.
The notation may be obscuring things. "n++" is computer notation, specifically the C and C++ programming languages, as well as other languages that are derived from C.

In this problem n++ seems to be shorthand for n + 1, and similarly for m++.

So, the task is to deduce (i.e., show) that ##(n + 1) \times (m + 1)## is identically equal to ##[(n + 1) \times m] + (n + 1)##.

This reference is useless, as it points to this very thread.
Thanks, but how do you deduce (n+1) x (m+1)=[(n+1) x m] + (n+1) I am stuck on the deducing part.

Related to Proof: Multiplication is commutative

1. What is commutativity in multiplication?

Commutativity in multiplication means that the order of the numbers being multiplied does not affect the result. In other words, swapping the order of the numbers will still give the same answer.

2. How can you prove that multiplication is commutative?

The easiest way to prove that multiplication is commutative is by using the distributive property. If we have the expression a * b, we can also write it as (a + b) * (a + b). By expanding this expression, we can see that it is the same as b * a. This shows that the order of the numbers does not matter in multiplication.

3. Are there any real-life examples of commutativity in multiplication?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of commutativity in multiplication. For example, if you have 3 groups of 4 apples, it is the same as having 4 groups of 3 apples. Another example is calculating the area of a rectangle. It does not matter if you multiply the length by the width or the width by the length, the result will be the same.

4. Does the commutative property only apply to whole numbers?

No, the commutative property applies to all real numbers, including fractions and decimals. For example, 1/2 * 3 is the same as 3 * 1/2, which both equal 1.5.

5. Is there a difference between commutativity in multiplication and addition?

Yes, there is a difference between commutativity in multiplication and addition. The commutative property holds for both operations, but the result is different. When multiplying two numbers, the result is always the same regardless of the order. However, when adding two numbers, the result can change depending on the order (e.g. 2 + 3 is not the same as 3 + 2).